Learn more

Sign in to view all badges

SOLVED

Building a segment - Within x hits operator

anttiNylund
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I a creating a segment and having hard time to overcome flawed implementation with some quick n dirty:

Hit 1 - A

Hit 2 - A

Hit 3 - A

Hit 4 - B

If I set in the Segment builder that State=A THEN Within 1 hits State=B with does Adobe check

1) Hit 1 and Hit 2 = false or

2) does it compare Hit 3 and Hit 4 which would mean that this Visit and Visitor would be included in the segment?

There is unknown and varying amount of hits between state A and B and no way to control how many hits user sends before moving from A to B but just using Visit scope might lead to false positives.

Thanks for your input!

1 Accepted Solution
AndrewWathen
Correct answer by
Community Advisor
Community Advisor

The segment as described will return any visits that contain "A then B within one page view" at any point within the journey.  So the journey described would be included as it matches this criteria.

I also wondered whether turning off "count repeat instances" under the menu Project > Project Info & Settings might be useful to you depending on what you are doing as hit 2 and hit 3 would be filtered out in this case.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
AndrewWathen
Correct answer by
Community Advisor
Community Advisor

The segment as described will return any visits that contain "A then B within one page view" at any point within the journey.  So the journey described would be included as it matches this criteria.

I also wondered whether turning off "count repeat instances" under the menu Project > Project Info & Settings might be useful to you depending on what you are doing as hit 2 and hit 3 would be filtered out in this case.

View solution in original post

anttiNylund
Level 2
Level 2
Thanks! 'count repeat instances', if I understood correctly, would not apply to this as I have a page view event followed by x amount of page events like scroll and click before next page view event. So I have different amount of matches if I set within 3 hits or within 4 hits. If I set option within visit then user might be included since they might reach step B via other sequence. I think I got tangled up, I may need some pen&paper to get this sorted in my head 🙂
hyderziaee
Employee
Employee

Look at it this way - there is a condition which when true has an action. It has no action when the condition is false.

Hit 1 - A ---- Hit 2 - A ----> No Action

Hit 2 - A ---- Hit 3 - A ----> No Action

Hit 3 - A ---- Hit 4 - B ----> Include Visit (assuming container level is set to Visit)

anttiNylund
Level 2
Level 2
@hyderziaee Thanks, that makes sense. But if I want to find a hit A(Hit 3) that was followed by hit B (Hit 4), would this then include all hits that are similar to Hit 3?
hyderziaee
Employee
Employee
@anttiNylund, the answer would depend on the container. if the container is Visit, then all the hits within a visit where the condition was satisfied will be included