Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Average visits per hour of day

Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to calculate the average number of visits per hour of day over a given time period.
When I create an Average Visits metric like this: 

mdep_0-1618603133084.png

and then use that to breakdown by the Hour of Day dimension, I would expect it to give me the average per hour of day, however, it gives me only one value: the average of the entire selected time period. Like this:

mdep_1-1618603259012.png

How do i get the average number of visits that I can break down by hour of day?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear mdep,

Are you looking for the average hourly visits in a day i.e. Visits in a day / 24? Or average hourly visits for the time period selected i.e. Visits for the time period / No. of hours for the time period? If yes, create a calculated metric based on the below.

PratheepArunRaj_0-1619023651705.png

Once created, you should see the below numbers.

PratheepArunRaj_1-1619024006526.png

But, not sure about the metric average number of visits per hour of the day, can you explain more?

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Dear mdep,

Are you looking for the average hourly visits in a day i.e. Visits in a day / 24? Or average hourly visits for the time period selected i.e. Visits for the time period / No. of hours for the time period? If yes, create a calculated metric based on the below.

PratheepArunRaj_0-1619023651705.png

Once created, you should see the below numbers.

PratheepArunRaj_1-1619024006526.png

But, not sure about the metric average number of visits per hour of the day, can you explain more?

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B | Xerago | Terryn Winter Analytics

Level 1

Hi Pratheep,

Thank you for your response.
Here's what I'm after: I'm trying to find out the most popular hour to visit the site on average. Instead of just summing visits per hour I want to take the average. 
Like this:

Date1AM2AM3AM4AM5AM6AM7AM
4/1/2021212461020
4/2/2021400541122
4/3/2021113561219
Average2.30.71.74.75.311.020.3

This is just and example, I'd need this for all hours of day (12AM to 12PM) for a certain date range.

So from this I can see that between 1 to 7AM we have on average most number of visits at 7AM.

Any chance you know how to do this in Adobe Analytics?
Thank you for your help!
Manon

Community Advisor

Dear Mdep, Still the same metric. But instead of the dimension 'Day', use the dimension 'Hour Of Day'. Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B

Level 1

Hi, I'm a little unclear and hoping I can revivie this thread.  

I'm attempting to use Hour of Day and Visits to understand on average, how many visits per hour (3am, 4am, etc..) within the designated timeframe.  

It's giving me the avg visits per hour for the whole day but not broken down by each hour.  The calculated metric just matches the visits for that hour.  

20230222_152942.jpg

20230222_152922.jpg

Level 1
Hi PratheepArunRaj, that worked! nice for average number of visits per weekday too!

Level 2

@mdep 

Hoping this should solve the problem without creating any additional metrics. Where the Bars are showing the maximum visits in a particular hour from Jan-Feb in this case. Make sure to update the Date range or feel free to use the Rolling date range.

AnalyticsLord_0-1619339369963.png

Level 1

Hi @PratheepArunRaj 

I have created a calulated metric for Hour of Day But the numbers does not matches to the exact avg . Is this expected?
For example: for 1AM total visits for 40 days is 14717 (avg: 367 ) but the calculated metrics shows 364

Thanks

Community Advisor

Dear @vijayy ,

I doubt it will show the exact average and it is expected because we are using 'APPROXIMATE DISTINCT COUNT' for the dimension.

Thank You, Pratheep Arun Raj B (Arun) | NextRow Digital | Terryn Winter Analytics