Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Applying "Marketing Channel Overriding" logic to the Raw Click stream data

Level 1

Hey Guys,

We are in the phase where we work on Adobe click stream data. So as to see the same stats we see in the Adobe front end reports, we are applying all the necessary logics to declare marketing channel for each visit/order to the click stream data.

I got stuck on applying the "Marketing Channel Overriding" logic to the click stream data. If anyone had already worked on this, it will be great if you share the knowledge / logic by considering the sample data feed.

Thanks,

Karthik

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

If you're referring to the 'Override last touch channel' checkbox in the Marketing Channel manager, basically what that does is prevents hits matching that rule from overriding last touch channel if its unchecked. This is common for channels like 'internal', where you don't want to have that channel override something more important like paid search. In other words, if 'last touch override' is unchecked, that rule can only work if the visitor hasn't had a prior channel before. It populates both first and last touch if they're blank.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

In data feeds, va_finder_id and va_finder_detail are Marketing Channel First Touch Channel and Detail, respectively. va_closer_id and va_closer_detail are for Last Touch Channel.

Every hit, Adobe checks the relevant columns against the Marketing Channel Processing Rules and figures out which channel it should go into (if any). For channel ID's, they should match the number in the Marketing Channel Manager.

Level 1

Hey, Thanks for getting back on this !!

Verbally, I understood the logic of Overriding. But when applying the same to data feed level, I am not sure what all need to be considered.

Also, when channel is deselect for overriding - Will this applies for Visits metric as well or Only the conversion metrics?

Thanks,

Karthik

Community Advisor

Dear Karthik,

Nothing much. Just ignore the Last Touch i.e. va_closer_id and va_closer_detail when you don't want your Last Touch in your calculation. Just use the the Channels in First Touch.

The tricky part comes when you have more than one Last Touch Channel over the time period. If that's the case, you should consider your previous visit Last Touch Channel.

Thank You

Arun

Correct answer by
Employee Advisor

If you're referring to the 'Override last touch channel' checkbox in the Marketing Channel manager, basically what that does is prevents hits matching that rule from overriding last touch channel if its unchecked. This is common for channels like 'internal', where you don't want to have that channel override something more important like paid search. In other words, if 'last touch override' is unchecked, that rule can only work if the visitor hasn't had a prior channel before. It populates both first and last touch if they're blank.

Employee Advisor

Hi Karthik, are there any follow up questions you'd like to ask?

Level 1

Hi @karthikg721353 were you able to crack it down on how to derive the last touch channel from adobe clickstream data feed? And are the numbers matching to adobe reports? 

@PratheepArunRaj / @Gigazelle I know this is an old thread. But wanted to know if there are any new developments on this. In our organization, I am in similar situation as Karthik now. Need to serve multiple Retail Omnichannel use cases using the adobe clickstream data feed.

Thanks for all your inputs, ahead!