Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for the next Community Q&A Coffee Break on Tuesday April 23, 2024 with Eric Matisoff, Principal Evangelist, Analytics & Data Science, who will join us to discuss all the big news and announcements from Summit 2024!
SOLVED

Analysis Workspace: Props and Evars

Level 6

Hi All,

before I start creating reports, I just wanted to get some newbie clarification.

props will tell me whats happening on a particular page or with a particular form. So that means I can look at a forms prop by form completes however in the img 1 I have 2 forms that have 1 completes for each (total 2) but however it has a total of 6. However, if I use form ID evar then I get the correct total of 6 in the line items which match the actual total.

Question 1: when I use form ID evar I get a new form ID compared to when I use the form ID prop. So why does this happen and what is the meaning of each. I just want to report the aggregate true total for form completed?

Question 2: When should I use evars versus props in analysis workspace and what are some breakdown examples

thanks,

Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Scott, 

For the first part you should definitely use an eVar. As a matter of fact, an eVar can do everything a prop can do except pathing. 

If you want to see the forms for a particular page I would recommend using a breakdown of that page with formID evar. 

Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks!

Tanmay

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi Scott, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. 

Answer 1: This is probably because props do not persist beyond the image request they are fired on. They cannot be associated with an event which is not in that image request. The event for completion of the form with id 246bs8 was fired in a different image request when prop20 was fired. On the other hand, evars persist beyond the image request so whenever the form completion event is triggered it got credited to evar20 form id. 

Answer 2: A comparison between Props and Evars is given in this document. This should give you a good idea - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/implement/props_vs_eVars.html . 

Here is the document on breakdowns - https://marketing.adobe.com/resources/help/en_US/sc/user/breakdowns.html

Let me know if this helps. Thanks!

Tanmay

Level 6

Hi Tanmay,

thanks for the clarification. So if I want to see a total of all the forms that were completed then I should use an evar because it will give me any and all form IDs associated with that event? otherwise I should use props when I want to look at something more specific such as using the form ID prop when looking at forms on a particular page that would be a part of the same image request?

thanks again,

Scott

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Scott, 

For the first part you should definitely use an eVar. As a matter of fact, an eVar can do everything a prop can do except pathing. 

If you want to see the forms for a particular page I would recommend using a breakdown of that page with formID evar. 

Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks!

Tanmay