Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Adobe Launch - SPA configuration, DCR, event driven or something else!?

Level 3

Hello,

Using Launch to Pull data from SPA can be fun at times.!

We've tried direct call rules, old DTM method and new Launch style all work fine.

We've tried data element change, works fine.

But which do you prefer? - I'd love to get a view from the community on the way forward for analytics tracking when working with react or angular.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

My personal preference is Direct call rules. I have found they are the most successful and once applied allows me and developers great flexibility and minimal triaging for breakage. There are 2 things though that need to be mentioned.

1 To optimally tag you need a good datalayer, if you don`t have one or try and set is dynamically via a bunch of element rules you will spend alot of extra time troubleshooting.

2 Most SPA once tagged forget to account for browser Back and forth buttons, so make sure devs accommodate this.

GLTU

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

I personally prefer Custom Events, the modern version of Direct Call. Both work in a similar manner, but Custom Events are a W3C standard that all modern browsers support natively.

Update:

Actually, I think I prefer an event-driven data layer, e.g. ACDL. SPAs themselves are generally driven by events, so it makes sense to tap into that for tracking too.

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

My personal preference is Direct call rules. I have found they are the most successful and once applied allows me and developers great flexibility and minimal triaging for breakage. There are 2 things though that need to be mentioned.

1 To optimally tag you need a good datalayer, if you don`t have one or try and set is dynamically via a bunch of element rules you will spend alot of extra time troubleshooting.

2 Most SPA once tagged forget to account for browser Back and forth buttons, so make sure devs accommodate this.

GLTU

Level 3

Hi, 

I couldn't agree more with you on he dataLayer comment. I'm guessing you like me have been through the pain of objects not updating in time for the call! :). I remember one install having to to have a direct call which fired another direct call but delayed for 200-300 ms... Fortunately we worked with dev to get that sorted.

But interesting we have two different views on SPA tracking.

Community Advisor

Adding my 2 cents worth...  I also prefer the custom event method, but this is also because our site has a lot of extra dependencies that we need to ensure are completed before tracking occurs, so using custom events allows us more control on when the tracking fires (after all the bits and pieces have finished so that they can be  collected - of course we also added logic that if those pieces fail after an appropriate timeout to trigger the custom event anyway so that we don't lose tracking completely).