Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us at Adobe Summit 2024 for the Coffee Break Q&A Live series, a unique opportunity to network with and learn from expert users, the Adobe product team, and Adobe partners in a small group, 30 minute AMA conversations.
SOLVED

Historical Data upload to Adobe Analytics

Level 1

Hi,

I am trying to migrate the Google Analytics data to Adobe Analytics via Data Sources. I have upload the data for January and February 2019 but the data is not reflected in the Analytics reports. As we debugged further into it, there was no Adobe Analytics in place for the customer before May 2019. We are able to upload the data after May2019 and we are able see the data in reports.

Is there any way we can make this possible to upload the data before May 2019 and also reflect the same data in the reports?

Thank you,
Raja.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The data retention policy is independent of GDPR. Even before GDPR, data retention was limited to whatever is stated in the contract, 25 or 37 months in most cases.

However, customers can contact their sales rep to have the data retention extended, up to a maximum of 10 years. This comes with an increase in cost per added year of data retention.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Community Advisor

As part of the GDPR, Adobe implemented a data retention policy quite a few years ago... Depending on what your organization is entitled to, your data will truncate after 25 months or 37 months...  There is no way to change that.

It's still better than GA4 which is moving to a max 14 month retention (which won't even allow you to do a YoY comparison for a full year's worth of data)

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

The data retention policy is independent of GDPR. Even before GDPR, data retention was limited to whatever is stated in the contract, 25 or 37 months in most cases.

However, customers can contact their sales rep to have the data retention extended, up to a maximum of 10 years. This comes with an increase in cost per added year of data retention.

Community Advisor

That's interesting.. Thanks @FrederikWerner I guess we were clients for so long we never had that.. until GDPR we had no retention policy at all... we had full historical data, and only when GDPR came into being we were informed that our data would now be truncated to 37 months. Funny that no one mentioned to us at this time we could have extended the data to 10 years.... that might have been something our company would be interested in... (I'm going to look into that, though we've already lost a lot of that data..)

Hi,

I know about the data retention policy that you are mentioning about, Thanks for reminding me again :).

Here, I want to upload historical data from Google analytics to Adobe Analytics. The date range that I'm trying to upload the data, there is no Adobe Analytics in place for the customer. The Adobe Analytics contract is only available for the customer after May-2019 only. 

Now I want to upload the data before may-2019 also, I have tried via Data Sources, do you know any other alternate process to upload the data before may-2019 also.

Community Advisor

I'm pretty sure the retention policy is based on the date of the data, not the date it was added to Analytics, and not specifically "data collected by Adobe"... since that historical data falls into the time frame that is outside of your data retention policy you cannot import it into your system. (the Google Analytics data has a date that would be mapped in so that when you pull reports it corresponds to the correct report period, that same date would flag the data for being eligible to be truncated based on your contract).

I've never tried importing data outside the policy specifically, but give you said yourself that data imports after May 2019 work, and before that fail... and that is exactly where your retention policy is set.. I don't think you will be able to do what you want.