Expand my Community achievements bar.

Announcement: Calling all learners and mentors! Applications are now open for the Adobe Analytics 2024 Mentorship Program! Come learn from the best to prepare for an official certification in Adobe Analytics.

AA Data insertion API - stitching API hit into respective AA session

Level 3

I'm trying to bring in the back end orders post user created a cart(scenario - B2B provision to checkout cart form their in-house system) 

Ref to this post - https://developer.adobe.com/analytics-apis/docs/1.4/guides/data-insertion/

I was hoping to passECID to <marketingCloudVisitorId> when my backend system places an order. In this case data stitching would happen as same ECID from the user session was passed. Unfortunately, they came back stating MCMID can't be fetched from the user UI(front end session cookie) for some reasons

As an alternate my backend team willing to pass the cartID from the same user session.

But my question here is if cartId to <visitorId> field, HOW can we make adobe consider/stitch this API inserted hit into a session matching cartId? Thanks

2 Replies

Community Advisor and Adobe Champion

Hey @abhijithr !

In the interest of ensuring that there is not another issue impacting the MCMID being fetched, have you been able to confirm that you're seeing it set properly in Adobe? 

I've seen implementations set ECID as an eVar and set in a data element to ensure that there aren't instances where ECID isn't being set that can impact stitching data using Data Insertion API.  Are you utilizing Launch to send to AA?  If so, using the Adobe Experience Cloud ID Service Extension would allow you to set up a simple data element to make ECID available using "_satellite.getVar("<your data element name>"). 

See below screenshot:

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 11.04.58 AM.png

However, if for whatever reason, there ends up being issues that prevent stitching via the ECID (which probably makes the Data Insertion API not a great solution for your requirement of stitching data from backend to Adobe), the cartID COULD be used to capture in an eVar, and then you could upload a classification of the data you want to see in Adobe that is tied to the backend orders keyed off the cartID if that is available.  https://experienceleague.adobe.com/en/docs/analytics/components/classifications/c-classifications for reference.  This isn't the best solution, as you are limited to uploading off the cartID and if the value is not truly unique (i.e., could be re-used) it could result in problems in the future.  But it could allow you to classify simple details such as "total order value", "# of products", etc.

Hopefully one of these two options help you move forward!

Thanks,

Andy

Level 3

hi @andylunsford1 

First of all thanks a ton for your response.

Yes, I use Launch & could populate ECID within, but challenge is from my backend accessing.

Via classification sounds smart idea, and certainly helps have numbers within AA. But as I'm hoping to do full ecommerce reporting(PV to order metrics by products SKU dimension), there seems challenges yet. I'm trying pushing me backend team consume it prior and append in XML, worst-case I can consider the below maybe for high level revenue & product category via classification. Thanks again Andy.