Expand my Community achievements bar.

How do I filter users who have visited certain pages and exclude a single page using "base page link"

Level 2

Hi, need some help with my segment building as its not showing the expected results. Please advise.

I'm tried to build a segment using the following filter conditions:

================================

VISITOR
(
HIT
Base Page Link  contains "domain.com/hotels/SEA/"

- AND -
HIT
Base Page Link contains "domain.com/flights"

- AND -
HIT
Base Page Link does not contain "domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore"
)
================================

However, when i check the data in workspace, "domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore" still returns as one of the results in base page link.

Following is my report setting:
1. Base Page Link as Dimension
2. Page views as metric, filter by abovementioned segment

5 Replies

Community Advisor

What are you actually trying to achieve?

With the Visitor level segment, you are pulling back all visitors (and by extension all pages those visitors have gone to) that had the following:

• Any hit that contains "domain.com/hotels/SEA/"
  • AND
  • Any hit that contains "domain.com/flights"
  • AND
  • Any hit that doesn't contain "domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore"  (which is satisfied by any of the hits on the first 2 clauses, or any other page hit by those visitors)

If you are trying to exclude visitors that ever visited "domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore", then you must add that as a Visitor Exclusion

Exclusion and Does Not Contain are very different logic.... Exclude actually excludes hits, visits or visitors (based on how the segment is built)... where as Does Not Contain within the current segment build does nothing... Does Not Contain works better in such scenarios as a paired container:

Hit (

Something X

AND

Something else does not contain Y

)

Basically getting all the X hits that also do not have Y (such as Page "Home" AND Referrer does not contain "Google" - for instance)

Now, are you trying to exclude just hits to "domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore"? Or exclude visitors that have gone to that page? Or exclude visits that included that page?

Either way, you will have to make the container an exclude rule, and choose what level needs to be excluded.

Jennifer_Dungan_0-1687837578900.png

Jennifer_Dungan_1-1687837587485.png

^ This will only exclude the hits, but the rest of the page views from those visitors will still be returned... I don't know if that is the intended behaviour....

Level 2
I'm trying to identify who are the visitors who have visited page ("domain.com/hotels/SEA/" AND "domain.com/flights") but they have not visited "domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore". 

E.g. of the expected results: Only visitor B should be returned as filtered result.

visitor A
1. visited domain.com/hotels/SEA/
2. visited domain.com/flights
3. visited domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore

visitor B
1. visited domain.com/hotels/SEA/
2. visited domain.com/flights

I edited the segment rules with visitor and exlcude as follows, however i still see domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore as returned results. 

============================

VISITOR
(
HIT
Base Page Link (v34) contains domain.com/hotels/SEA/
- AND -
HIT
Base Page Link (v34) contains domain.com/flights
)
- AND -

EXCLUDE VISITOR

Base Page Link (c34) contains domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore

Community Advisor

OK, that visitor exclusion should fix your problem

How does your data look now?

Level 2

Its returning expected results after some correction from my end. Thanks Jennifer!

VISITOR
(
HIT
Base Page Link (v34) contains domain.com/hotels/SEA/
- AND -
HIT
Base Page Link (v34) contains domain.com/flights
- AND -
EXCLUDE VISITOR

Base Page Link (c34) contains domain.com/hotels/SEA/singapore
)