Expand my Community achievements bar.

Adobe Analytics vs Shadow DOM components

Level 1

Greetings!

Can someone point out where one can find documentation and/or examples in how to use Adobe Analytics in shadow DOM components?

Ex: tracking a button click in a shadow DOM component

Web HTML components built with: "stencil, lit or pure JavaScript"

Is it possible to also extend the behavior of "activity map" to shadow DOM components?

Do we need to create custom events/variables?

Do we need to bubble up the event from shadow DOM to light DOM and send to Adobe Analytics or is there a way to trigger a function that sends the data to adobe Analytics, for ex, a user clicks on a "shadow button" and "onclick event" we trigger a customized function that sends the info to adobe?

Thank you in advance. 

4 Replies

Community Advisor

I haven't worked with Shadow DOM myself, but I would say you are probably correct about needing to create custom events that you then listen for with Launch in order to trigger tracking.

As for Activity Map... You can't even "extend" activity map to track non-standard navigation items... by which I mean, I can track things like anchors and buttons, as these are "standard" navigation (buttons require a little code manipulation to work)... but if your developers take a div or span and apply JS to it to make clicks on the element navigate to another page, I've never successfully made that work....

However, you could create your own replication Activity Map.. basically, add some data to a session storage value when an element is clicked; then on the next page, read the values into your own props or eVars (hit level); then delete the session variables.

This will not appear in the Activity Map plugin... but you can use it in Workspace.... to be honest, I only use Activity Map data in Workspace.. I haven't used the overlay extension in over 8(?) years....

So if you want to use the overlay, I think you are out of luck.. if you are only planning on using this as pure data, then a custom solution should work.

I also suspect that most heatmap products out there will have a lot of the same issues... with the elements not properly registering... 

Now, just my two cents... Shadow DOM sounds like an absolute pain to work with, but more than that, I would be concerned that any site coded in this fashion wouldn't comply with accessibility standards....I would also worry about SEO.

Is there a compelling reason for this choice? If this is a new build in dev, your team may want to do a feasibility study to make sure that you aren't developing something that will kill the SEO of your site, and depending on your local laws, have you sued for having a site that can't be used by screen readers. Maybe this has been addressed... I don't know... but it sounds risky and that it's making everything more difficult....

Level 1

Yes, we are aware about the cons and pros in adopting "shadow DOM components" (SEO, accessibility, performance, "custom tracking"...).

We shall play further with custom events/variables and the workplace.
Your idea with "session storage" is most welcome.

Thank you for quick reply!

Level 1

@Bakemyday  Were you ever able to solve this issue?