Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Workfront VS Sharepoint

Level 2
For those who have sharepoint integrations, how do workfront and sharepoint overlap and what are you currently using sharepoint for? Thank you, Laura Mormile Excelsior College
22 Replies

Level 9
We are exploring integrating WF Library into our Sharepoint. Christina Jarosz Ascensus

Level 2
Thank you, Christina, is this for training purposes? Laura Mormile Excelsior College

Level 2
Technical Workaround: Under Documents Add New Proof Then paste Sharepoint share link in the green web space and hit Enter. Click Create Proof (changing any other settings is optional) Then the clickable link is in your documents. You can then click Document Details, delete the link, and add a new title/name. After you hit Enter, the link itself will still work. Sophie Besl JFF

Level 2
We use it for managing project documents so we could expand our available storage. But, I've found that, the integration is a bit buggy and not very intuitive. The options for managing the files are really restricted. You can't move or rename the files once they're in Workfront. Files need to be managed in SharePoint directly, if you want to have all the file management options available.The UI can lag and if you go too fast it might load the content incorrectly. Also, it doesn't like extra periods and special characters, like "#" in file names. Otherwise, if you don't move anything and take care managing your files it's adequate. We did create a SharePoint site to use as a knowledgebase of helpful user training resources, that works well though. Just my two-cents. Cheers! Peyto Yellin CareOregon, Inc.

Level 10
I am very interested in this. I've seen other threads about this but not a great solution (yet). I'd like to keep Word documents on Sharepoint/OneDrive so that we can have "live" documents that don't have to be downloaded, edited and uploaded. However the only place to share them is in the Updates, which tend to get buried at the bottom during an active project. I think Google Docs is an option, but we don't use it, and migrating people from Word I think will be very (very) challenging, and a bunch of Mac users who hate Google like the plague. I would love it if we could post them to the Documents tab, so they appear in the list with all the other documents, or be able to pin key updates to the top so they are easier to find. How do other people do this? Jill Ackerman

Level 2

Hi Jill,

curious of how you addressed the topic above. We are in the process of implementing Workfront and currently use Sharepoint for our project repository. Moving our documents to WF and requiring team members to download and upload a document every time they want to edit, will be a dis-pleaser so we are looking at the integration between WF and SP. Would love to hear your experience on this topic.

Level 10

Hi Alyssa

If you read down further in this thread you will see the answer. In short, I created a custom report called Brief that has a few key fields including one where the user can paste the link to the Brief that goes with that Project. Then I created a tab that appears on every Project with the Dashboard/Report for the Brief. It's like magic. Read down and if you still don't understand, let me know and I'll slow down the answer into a step by step.

Level 8
@Peyto Yellin where do users go in Workfront to access the training documents? I've been wanting to consolidate all Workfront reference materials and put them in one place so that users know exactly where to go to find information, but I haven't found a good way to do so yet. I'd be interested to hear more about how this works for you. Kirsten Heikkinen Trek Bicycle Corporation

Level 2
Hi Kirsten, we use a SharePoint Online site. The site has a document library with folders for the different files. The site home page can be customized in different ways but we use what's known as a "hero" widget that can highlight specific sections of the site. The site menu is also customizable, as needed. Then we have various documents for different audiences or topics that are all indexed and fully searchable. That's the basics at least. Cheers! Peyto Yellin CareOregon, Inc.

Level 2
Hi Jill, we use a SharePoint Online document library to manage all our project files. I manually create and link project folders to each project using folder templates. Then the team uploads the files to those folders so they are easy to find later. The project folders have sub-folders that correspond to our creative marketing process, such as discovery, creative (+ deliverable folders), and admin. We used to have an output folder too, but decided that it was easier to have one creative folder for each deliverable that would contain all the drafts, outputs, and designer source files as well. Some of the best features of this system are the ability to sync individual project folders, so that designers can work off their local computers but it is synced to the project folder for archiving later. Also, with SharePoint online you can use Word and Excel in the browser or open it with the desktop app as needed. The SharePoint side is working great. It's the Workfront integration that's a bit limited though. Hope that helps. Cheers! Peyto Yellin CareOregon, Inc.

Level 2
Hi Jill, we use a SharePoint Online document library site to manage all our project files. I manually create and link project folders for each project using folder templates. Then the team uploads the files to those folder so they are easy to find later on the documents tab. The project folders have sub-folders that correspond to our marketing creative process, such as discovery, creative (+ deliverable folders), and admin. We used to have an "output" folder too, but decided that it was easier to have one creative folder for each deliverable that would contain all the drafts, outputs, and source files as well. Some of the best features of this system are having the ability to sync individual project folders, so that designers can work on their files locally but they are directly synced to the project folder for archiving. Also, with SharePoint Online you can use Word and Excel in the browser or open it with the desktop app, as needed. The SharePoint side is working great. It's the Workfront integration that's a bit limited though. Hope that helps. Cheers! Peyto Yellin CareOregon, Inc.

Level 10
Hi Peyto – that's sort of what I want to do, but where do you display the link for easy access? That's the part that I'm struggling with. It feels like it should be in the Documents tab, but it can't be.

Level 2
Hi Jill, What I've found is that, if you have "show system updates" turned on, you can grab a quick link from there. Example: Peyto Yellin uploaded "https://careoregon.my.workfront.com/document/view?versionID=5cfaaf9e011e77a3c9a423e54813ab02">image001.png . The document link after "uploaded" is a live link that will take folks to the document object. Peyto Yellin CareOregon, Inc.

Level 10
Eek that sounds like it would be very difficult for the average person to find in a sea of updates. I'm looking at a project that hasn't even started yet and there are 20 updates in there already. I'm going to spend some time next week trying to create a task report with a link from the Description field that can be put on a Dashboard. Let's see if my very weak reporting skills can do this! Thanks!

Level 10
I've made great progress with my new way to show a shared document from OneDrive, but I have one last barrier that I can't figure out. I'm hoping someone else has used hyperlinks to external documents successfully and has any advice. I created a task called Creative Brief I created a report that collects all of these tasks I created a custom field called Link to Brief Any user can paste the URL to the OneDrive document related to that task It shows up in the report, beautifully However, the URL pastes as text and not as a hyperlink so it doesn't click to open the page as I had hoped. You can copy/paste the link in a browser to see it, but that is not the ideal I'm hoping for. Is there another way to paste a URL into a field and have it be hyperlinked and open on a new tab? Thanks! Jill Ackerman

Level 7
Hi Jill, on the report, for your Link to Brief field, switch to text mode and add this line: link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Link to Brief) Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 10
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

Level 2
You might consider using the URL field in the project details or task details, unless you're using that for something else? That holds any URL and opens in a new tab when clicked and can be pulled into a report as well. This email and any attachments are confidential and may be legally protected. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else, unless expressly approved by the sender or an authorized addressee, is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action omitted or taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email, permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments, and destroy all copies.

Level 10
Hmm I don't have a URL field in project details or task details.

Level 2
It's the fourth field down in Details/Overview. Since it's a system field so it should be available for anyone, I'd assume? On my end the overview shows the following fields in this order: Name, Description, Reference Number, URL , etc... This email and any attachments are confidential and may be legally protected. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else, unless expressly approved by the sender or an authorized addressee, is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action omitted or taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please notify the sender by reply email, permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments, and destroy all copies.