Expand my Community achievements bar.

Workfront SOP - Share?

Level 2
Hi all, It's an interesting conversation. I struggled with maintaining a SharePoint instance at my corporation for years before finally settling on Workfront for my intranet. When you think about the flexibility we have to combine content and work, along with documents, users, and the various other objects, building an intranet in Workfront actually makes more sense than elsewhere to me. It was this thinking that led to the WIKI package I've developed, which currently supports a variety of article formats, FAQs, links, etc. and is fully dynamic leveraging a project's tasks and issues. With this approach, I now have the ability to WIKI-fy any project in my instance by simply adding some records and "tagging" them as WIKI, FAQ or LINK type records, distinguishing them from actual assigned work. Here's a snapshot of the front-end display in the project. In this case, I used it to document some details about a package built earlier around "Workfront Cleanup Dashboard" mentioned "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=6d34fa85-2a9a-4cbf-a323-d86cd0420221&CommunityKey=ccf3381b-a473-4ef2-9f81-4dd3244cf522&tab=digestviewer#bm6d34fa85-2a9a-4cbf-a323-d86cd0420221"> in another thread today. I'll be working to package the WIKI for quick installation from the AtAppStore in the coming days. I'm interested to see what the appetite is for something like this in your instances. Personally, I wish I had this thing 6 years ago given how super valuable it is. Regards, Narayan
11 Replies

Level 1
I would really be interested in this as well. Please let me know if you get any responses. Thanks. Eileen Dutra

Level 4
I didn't recreate the wheel! WF training is fantastic. Train users now to be self-sufficient and use the learning resources available. Dr. Rochelle L. Webb, CSM Interim Director, Project Management Office MHMR Tarrant County Ft. Worth, Texas 817-569-4146

Level 2
Oh, I agree! I find the WF materials very helpful to me as admin. Unfortunately, my leadership feels that it is too much content for the average user to sift through so they've asked that I put together a user manual ... sigh. Aya Elsoukkary, Creative Operations Floor & Decor

Community Advisor
Since we have different layout templates and such for different users, we've created a few "user manuals." We call them Workfront for Project Managers, Workfront for Business Partners, etc and each set of users has their own specific info. Much of the time I can copy from one to another then make various tweaks. These are new for us, so the work of keeping them updated as we make changes is yet to be determined. A typical layout includes: Ascent courses we recommend for that user group along with a link to each course and the length so they can decide if they are interested or have the time How to log into Workfront (we use SSO) and how to find/adjust their notifications Communicating through Workfront (and the importance of it to maintain your system of record!) A list of the menus and tabs that particular group sees and what they will find under each one and if we've set up a custom dashboard as the first tab on the Reporting menu (which we do a lot) what each report on that dashboard gives them. A list of the different statuses on issues, projects, and tasks - and what they mean. We use quite a few custom statuses and approvals Additional items for project managers A list of templates available to them A basic overview of task approvals and custom forms - and which of our tasks require those items in case they need to add an extra task into a project A basic overview of how issue approvals work so they can recognize when something's gone awry Overview of converting an issue to a project and which fields they MUST ensure are updated A list of our project naming conventions Project scheduling tips, tricks, etc. How-to's on routing proofs to business partners Since we use timesheets, how to track their time Additional items for our business partners How to submit a request - and an overview of the process a request goes through after they click submit How to find requests they've submitted We use a task approval for sending print estimates to business partners, so how to review/approve those How to review a proof Some of our business partners have specific processes they need to follow for certain project types, those we typically include at the back of the guide after the basic stuff Something I started with our last new project manager, I scheduled time on her calendar for her to take the Ascent courses I wanted her to take and included a link to the course in the meeting invite - so she already had time blocked off from Day1 take those. I also scheduled sessions with her to review the guide, but broke it up into chunks so it wasn't overwhelming to get all things Workfront all in one session. Between the Ascent courses and the sessions I scheduled about 9, half-hour sessions with her over the course of a week, a morning session and an afternoon session. She's amazing, asks great questions and has a super grasp on Workfront, but I like to think part of her Rock-stardom is due to my training sessions. :)

Level 10
We created training manuals (see attached - one for PMs, one for Team Members) that we used to maintain and use in monthly trainings. These are old and outdated , b/c we converted to a custom Wiki site so I can just send a URL to someone with the exact 'page' they need to refer to (e.g., How to Create a Project, How to upload a Proof, etc). It was tough to send a big ppt and say 'see slide 65 for your question' :) Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 2
Similar to Katherine - we've created a Wiki/Knowledgebase site for our company specific uses - how we want people to think about specific custom forms/fields, and enter data for our reporting needs. For the rest of it, we direct people to Ascent and Experience.workfront.com. For our PMOs, I'm promoting them to think about documenting their process, as a process itself, and then showing how that is done in Workfront - to avoid people thinking Workfront dictates the processes. Mark Lopez Centene Corporation

Level 10
A couple people mentioned Wiki's... We're using a mix of PDFs (from InDesign), self-made training videos (Camtasia), and referencing Workfront's own content. We've shied away from using WF's own content because our environment is so different and we've disabled or modified large chunks of how things are done. But I liked the idea of a Wiki for the PDF portion and as a place to hold links for videos. Any recommendations on a secure, self-hosted wiki? (sorry if this sidetracks things a bit...) Kevin Quosig

Level 10

@Kevin Quosig - we use Sharepoint to host our Wiki. I attached a screenshot of our Home page. We also created 'guided tours' - collection of pages a particular audience member would need to see. Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB0690z000007ZhVsAAK.jpg

Level 9
Our training is specific to role - we have no generalized handbook but here is our PPT for reviewers (we call them stakeholders)

Level 10
Hi all, It's an interesting conversation. I struggled with maintaining a SharePoint instance at my corporation for years before finally settling on Workfront for my intranet. When you think about the flexibility we have to combine content and work, along with documents, users, and the various other objects, building an intranet in Workfront actually makes more sense than elsewhere to me. It was this thinking that led to the WIKI package I've developed, which currently supports a variety of article formats, FAQs, links, etc. and is fully dynamic leveraging a project's tasks and issues. With this approach, I now have the ability to WIKI-fy any project in my instance by simply adding some records and "tagging" them as WIKI, FAQ or LINK type records, distinguishing them from actual assigned work. Here's a snapshot of the front-end display in the project. In this case, I used it to document some details about a package built earlier around "Workfront Cleanup Dashboard" mentioned "https://community.workfront.com/discussions/community-home/digestviewer/viewthread?MessageKey=6d34fa85-2a9a-4cbf-a323-d86cd0420221&CommunityKey=ccf3381b-a473-4ef2-9f81-4dd3244cf522&tab=digestviewer#bm6d34fa85-2a9a-4cbf-a323-d86cd0420221"> in another thread today. I'll be working to package the WIKI for quick installation from the AtAppStore in the coming days. I'm interested to see what the appetite is for something like this in your instances. Personally, I wish I had this thing 6 years ago given how super valuable it is. Regards, Narayan