Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Tasks and Issues on One Report

Level 10
Hi This must be so obvious but I can't figure it out. I am trying to create a report for someone that shows all her Current Tasks AND Current Issues that are assigned to her. I can get them on separate reports and put them on a dashboard for her, but not on one nice long list so she can see everything she has to do at a glance. There's no good reason to separate them from a work point of view. Since reports are Object-based I don't know where to begin with this. I think Home is supposed to solve for this, but I need for her to have all the appropriate columns. Thanks!! Jill Ackerman
13 Replies

Level 4
Jill, Did you try an Assignment Report or a Work Item Report that brings Project/Task/and Issues into one report? The only problem is you will still have separate columns for Issues versus Task information but it will be on one report. I hope this helps! David
DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Consultant

Level 10
That's what we found with the Work Item report: because the task due date and the issue due date were two separate fields, we couldn't sort by due date. So basically, you can see everything on one report and not sort by anything useful. -skye

Level 10
Hi I tried the Assignment report but I can only get it to show tasks, not issues. I can play around with it more, but I suspect the problem is you can't mix objects on one report because they don't share column attributes. It looks exactly the same as My Tasks report. The Work Item I didn't try because of Skye's response, which makes it useless if you can't sort by due date. Really the only resolution I can sees to get this person to stop working requests as Issues, and to convert all her requests to a task or a project. However she's not a Planner and so she can't create tasks and projects from requests without the license which means we have to re-evaluate our setup to accommodate her inability to see all her deadlines together. I'm going to wait to see how the new Home manages these things, perhaps there will be something there that will be good? I haven't looked at it too deeply. Any other ideas, anybody? Jill Ackerman | Director, Product Marketing Lindblad Expeditions 96 Morton Street | New York, NY 10014 Ph. 212.261.9080 | Fax. 212.265-3770 jilla@expeditions.com | "http://www.expeditions.com/"> www.expeditions.com

Level 10
I believe work license users can convert requests to tasks, so if she really wanted to see all her items in one report, sortable by deadline, and didn't want to use Home, this might be the way to go especially if the other columns she needs to see are automatically converted along with this. -skye

Level 4
We have a team that manages both tasks and issues, so, we ran into the same problem. I have been able to create a report that will list task or issue into one column per user. This was done with an Assignment Report. You have to alter the column text. Basically, you create the Assignment Report for the user, then add a column, switch to text mode and put in this text: column.0.description=Task or Issue column.0.name=Issue or Task column.0.shortview=false column.0.stretch=0 column.0.textmode=true column.0.type=image column.0.valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({opTaskID}),'Task','Issue') column.0.valueformat= column.0.width=40 column.1.description=Task or Issue Name column.1.isInlineEditable=false column.1.link.linkproperty.0.name=ID column.1.link.linkproperty.0.valuefield=task:ID column.1.link.linkproperty.0.valueformat=string column.1.link.lookup=link.view column.1.link.valuefield=task:objCode column.1.link.valueformat=val column.1.listsort=nested(task).string(name) column.1.name=Name column.1.sharecol=true column.1.shortview=false column.1.stretch=50 column.1.textmode=true column.1.valuefield=task:name column.1.valueformat=HTML column.1.width=120 column.2.isInlineEditable=false column.2.link.linkproperty.0.name=ID column.2.link.linkproperty.0.valuefield=opTask:ID column.2.link.linkproperty.0.valueformat=string column.2.link.lookup=link.view column.2.link.valuefield=opTask:objCode column.2.link.valueformat=val column.2.linkedname=opTask column.2.listsort=nested(opTask).string(name) column.2.shortview=false column.2.stretch=0 column.2.textmode=true column.2.valuefield=opTask:name column.2.valueformat=HTML column.2.width=120 column.3.description=Project Name column.3.isInlineEditable=false column.3.link.linkproperty.0.name=ID column.3.link.linkproperty.0.valuefield=task:projectID column.3.link.linkproperty.0.valueformat=string column.3.link.lookup=link.view column.3.link.valuefield=task:project:objCode column.3.link.valueformat=val column.3.listsort=nested(task).nested(project).string(name) column.3.name=Project Name column.3.sharecol=true column.3.shortview=false column.3.stretch=50 column.3.textmode=true column.3.valuefield=task:project:name column.3.valueformat=HTML column.3.width=120 column.4.isInlineEditable=false column.4.link.linkproperty.0.name=ID column.4.link.linkproperty.0.valuefield=opTask:projectID column.4.link.linkproperty.0.valueformat=string column.4.link.lookup=link.view column.4.link.valuefield=opTask:project:objCode column.4.link.valueformat=val column.4.linkedname=opTask column.4.listsort=nested(opTask).nested(project).string(name) column.4.shortview=false column.4.stretch=0 column.4.textmode=true column.4.valuefield=opTask:project:name column.4.valueformat=HTML column.4.width=120 column.5.displayname=Primary Assignee column.5.linkedname=assignment column.5.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.5.namekeyargkey.0=assignment column.5.namekeyargkey.1=assignedToID column.5.querysort=assignment:assignedToID column.5.textmode=true column.5.valuefield=assignment:assignedTo:name column.5.valueformat=HTML column.6.displayname=Status column.6.enumclass=com.attask.common.constants.OpTaskStatusEnum column.6.enumtype=OPTASK column.6.linkedname=opTask column.6.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.6.namekeyargkey.0=opTask column.6.namekeyargkey.1=status column.6.querysort=opTask:status column.6.sharecol=true column.6.textmode=true column.6.type=enum column.6.valuefield=opTask:status column.6.valueformat=val column.7.displayname= column.7.enumclass=com.attask.common.constants.TaskStatusEnum column.7.enumtype=TASK column.7.linkedname=task column.7.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.7.namekeyargkey.0=task column.7.namekeyargkey.1=status column.7.querysort=task:status column.7.textmode=true column.7.type=enum column.7.valuefield=task:status column.7.valueformat=val column.8.displayname=Priority column.8.enumclass=com.attask.common.constants.TimelinePriorityEnum column.8.enumtype=OPTASK column.8.linkedname=opTask column.8.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.8.namekeyargkey.0=opTask column.8.namekeyargkey.1=priority column.8.querysort=opTask:priority column.8.sharecol=true column.8.textmode=true column.8.type=enum column.8.valuefield=opTask:priority column.8.valueformat=val column.9.displayname= column.9.enumclass=com.attask.common.constants.TimelinePriorityEnum column.9.enumtype=TASK column.9.linkedname=task column.9.namekey=view.relatedcolumn column.9.namekeyargkey.0=task column.9.namekeyargkey.1=priority column.9.querysort=task:priority column.9.type=enum column.9.valuefield=task:priority column.9.valueformat=val column.10.isInlineEditable=false column.10.linkedname=task column.10.listsort=nested(task).atDateAsAtDate(plannedStartDate) column.10.name=Planned Start Date column.10.sharecol=true column.10.shortview=false column.10.stretch=0 column.10.textmode=true column.10.valuefield=task:plannedStartDate column.10.valueformat=atDate column.10.width=100 column.11.isInlineEditable=false column.11.linkedname=opTask column.11.listsort=nested(opTask).atDateAsAtDate(plannedStartDate) column.11.shortview=false column.11.stretch=0 column.11.textmode=true column.11.valuefield=opTask:plannedStartDate column.11.valueformat=atDate column.11.width=1 column.12.isInlineEditable=false column.12.linkedname=task column.12.listsort=nested(task).atDateAsAtDate(projectedCompletionDate) column.12.name=Planned Completion Date column.12.sharecol=true column.12.shortview=false column.12.stretch=0 column.12.textmode=true column.12.valuefield=task:projectedCompletionDate column.12.valueformat=atDate column.12.width=100 column.13.isInlineEditable=false column.13.linkedname=opTask column.13.listsort=nested(opTask).atDateAsAtDate(projectedCompletionDate) column.13.shortview=false column.13.stretch=0 column.13.textmode=true column.13.valuefield=opTask:projectedCompletionDate column.13.valueformat=atDate column.13.width=1 column.14.isInlineEditable=false column.14.linkedname=task column.14.listsort=nested(task).double(percentComplete) column.14.name=Percent Complete column.14.sharecol=true column.14.shortview=false column.14.stretch=0 column.14.textmode=true column.14.valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({taskID}),"",{task}.{percentComplete}) column.14.valueformat=HTML column.14.width=100 column.15.textmode=true column.15.value= column.15.valueformat=HTML column.15.width=1 This will combine both tasks and issues, planned start and completion date and status... There is a help article that helps explain: View this on Workfront > Jaclyn Reiter, PMP, SA Project Manager, Strategic Initiatives Equifax, Inc. St. Louis, MO 314-684-2693 -------------

Level 3
I've had the same exact problem - my team has both requests & tasks assigned to them and there is no good way to manage these in reports. We end up having a report for each work item. My Work & Home (especially with the coming updates) are good options for those who are assigned the tasks. However, as a team manager or member, you won't always have insight into what work is assigned to your team, or work items you may be collaborating on, but not assigned to. Matthew Hynes Prudential Financial

Level 10
I have an idea (albeit untested), Jill: Create a custom calculated date parameter called Work Item Due Date Add it to the custom forms behind all Issues and Tasks On each, use a simple formula to point it to whatever date makes most sense (e.g. Planned Completion Date, Commit Date, Projected Completion Date, etc.) Confirm (via recalc custom data expressions) that it populates as you expect, and is populated for all Work Items Add Work Item Due Date to your Assignment report, annnnnd (here's the pitch!).... Sort by it Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 3
I was just about to throw in what Jaclyn posted. The one caveat, and it is also on the website she mentioned, is that the user has to bring the item into their "Working On". I guess this really boils down to what do you want the user's work process to be. What I ask people to do in our instance is to identify those big goals they need to accomplish this week and click "Work on it" for those items. This can include stretch goals. Then, they can use our reports dashboard, that includes a report like the one Jaclyn posted a link to, that combines issues and tasks into one area. This way, they can get feedback on how their goals and progress of those goals affect the timelines of the projects. We do have a requirement that issues (unplanned work) must be planned into a schedule (task) within a week, which removes a lot of the churn in regards to a distinguishing between task and issue. And we ask the users to provide comments and commitment dates to ensure we have the most accurate information about overall project health. The dashboard is the user's health check on how they are contributing to projects and if the PMO needs any information from them. Dale Whitchurch Arthrex Inc

Level 10
Some really great ideas here, thanks everyone. I will try them and report back what works. Jill Ackerman

Level 10
Hi Jaclyn I tried this report but I'm only getting tasks, not Issues. I don't know what I've done wrong. I got all the columns that are indicated in the text, but the issues just don't appear on the report. ☹

Level 4
Maybe it's a bug? It works for me. I am having a lot of trouble combining the Actual Hours for tasks and issues into one column. That just won't work for me. Maybe Workfront can look into this to see if there is a bug with this functionality. Jaclyn Reiter, PMP, SA Project Manager, Strategic Initiatives Equifax, Inc. St. Louis, MO 314-684-2693

Level 10
We (and when I say 'we', I mean @Anthony Imgrund !) created a report that combines tasks and issues into one column. We have it grouped by the person its assigned to, sorted by Due Date. We are filtering for a specific portfolio on our report. Here is the text code: task:status=CPL NNC task:status_Mod=notin project:portfolioID=51f1a9ce0014f43f201fc40a010f1fe1 project:portfolioID_Mod=in task:plannedCompletionDate=$$TODAY+2w task:plannedCompletionDate_Mod=lte teamID_Mod=isblank project:status=CUR PLN TOH project:status_Mod=in task:numberOfChildren=0 task:numberOfChildren_Mod=eq status=AA AD status_Mod=in OR:1:project:portfolioID=51f1a9ce0014f43f201fc40a010f1fe1 OR:1:project:portfolioID_Mod=in OR:1:teamID_Mod=isblank OR:1:project:status=CUR PLN TOH HLP OR:1:project:status_Mod=in OR:1:opTask:plannedCompletionDate=$$TODAY+2w OR:1:opTask:plannedCompletionDate_Mod=lte OR:1:opTask:status=CLS CAN NAN OR:1:opTask:status_Mod=notin OR:1:status=AA AD OR:1:status_Mod=in Katherine Haven, PMP VP, Director, Business Technologies - PMO FCB

Level 6
Jaclyn, this report is phenomenal. Ryan Carroll Integrated Marketing Services