Expand my Community achievements bar.

Workers Not Receiving Email Notifications

Level 2
Hi All, Very new to Workfront. Our team is working through our first pilot project. I am a Planner and Project Owner. I receive email notifications every time a task is completed, updates are made, etc., but Worker assignees are not receiving any email notifications of any kind. All Workers have confirmed that their email notifications are set to Instant in My Settings. What are we missing? Thank you! Phillip Phillip Waite Intermountain Health Care, Inc.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

11 Replies

Level 10
Hi Philip, Not 100% sure if this is a cause, but what status is your project in? If it's still in Planning status (i.e. not Current) then workers will not see it in their calendars / My Work and generally don't get email notifications. Regards, David Cornwell

Level 10
Yep that would be my first guess as well.

Level 2
Thanks for responding and for considering my issue. The project status is Current. Phillip Waite Intermountain Health Care, Inc.

Level 6
I have also seen cases where your firewall may be blocking mail due to WF spoofing of internal addresses. This would normally affect all users though, where the mail either would not get through at all or end up in a SPAM folder. See https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/227541748-How-to-Prevent-Spoofing-and-Add-Workfront-... in the help area. Marty Gawry - CapabilitySource

Level 10
No worries. The next thing I would check would be the Global settings under Setup to make sure the emails you're expecting to see are turned on?

Level 2
Yes, emails are getting through to some people, like me, so I'm not sure it's a firewall filter issue. However, I'll still look into that. As for the global settings, I'll have to get an Administrator for the group to look into that and go from there. Thanks again! Phillip Waite Intermountain Health Care, Inc.

Level 1
David, I have a multi-million dollar, 3 year project with 35 team leads that are assigned planning tasks such as requirements, design documents, etc. From what I am hearing from you, they will not get notifications until I move the project to "Current". First of all, why is it designed that way? Based on my background with large projects and all due respect, that doesn't sound like a logical decision made by your team. Secondly, what are my options here? Is there a global setting we can change? What would happen if I move it to "Current" with the likelihood of the project timeline changing after design? Can I change it back? Ken Netherland WAB Company

Level 10
Hi Ken, This "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216668548-Understanding-Project-Statuses">Understanding Project Statuses help article explains Workfront's underlying philosophy, and goes on to explain how (if you prefer different behavior) you can create a Custom Project Status (e.g. "Long Range Planning") that then does send emails for Projects of that Status (e.g. provided you based "Long Range Planning" on "Current") Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
Hi Ken - I don't work for Workfront so I can't speak for the original Product Designers! :) I see that Doug has replied regarding the current options, so will leave it at that. David Cornwell

Level 3
I think the custom status is your ticket. We've created custom status and found them to be easy to create and very helpful for channeling projects to the right team members before (or if) they are not for a specific group of users. I recommend playing around with this in your sandbox, first, however. Michelle Yard Manager, Marketing Operations Insperity Houston, Texas

Level 7
Hi Ken, The article that Doug linked to should provide sufficient information on how the system works. As for the original intent, we believe that a project has 4 main statuses that they typically go through: Planning / Execution / On Hold / Complete. Planning would also include Requested or Idea, and do not send out most emails, as it's expected to undergo many revisions during this phase, including assigning resources, realizing they may not be the best fit, and thus removing and reassigning different resources. The Execution phase would entail a status of Current or equivalent, and would be where work is actually done on the project. This status/phase would be where we would send out emails, such as when a task is complete, a predecessor is completed, assignments are changed, and the like. On Hold is just as it sounds, in that there is something holding up the project. Complete as well, is just as it sounds.This would encompass Complete, Closed, Resolved, Cancelled, Dead, etc. This is when an actual completion date is typically set, and no further work is done on the project. Statuses can always be changed later down the road, with the only setting necessary to check is the completion mode. If it's set to automatic, you won't be able to re-open a completed project. If it's set to manual, you can re-open the project as needed. I hope this helps! Thank you, Dustin Martin Assigned Support Engineer Workfront