Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Task Completion

Level 3
I am struggling with team members not checking off their task as complete in a project, when they are finished. I have trained them to either mark their task off by percentage as they are working on their task or clicking on the stats - In Progress, Complete, to no avail.... Throwing down the guanlet isn't working.... any adivice, suggestions, helpful hints are very much appreciated. This is throwing off our reporting, as to; on average the length of time it is taking to get a project complete and are we really becoming more efficient in completing projects. Pat Howay Flagstar Bancorp, Inc.
10 Replies

Level 2
Struggling with the same issue and would love to hear how others deal with this. I'm considering scheduling 15 minutes at the end of each day on everyone's calendar to ensure that tasks and projects are properly closed. Thanks, Mike Mike Pauley HANYS

Level 10
Hi Pat and Mike, I've not had to resort to it in quite some time, but one option to (ahem) "encourage" people to enter their Task completion dates in a timely fashion is to add some custom data to all Tasks of interest that captures the time (whether in days or minutes) between the (presumably backdated) Actual Completion Date and the current time at the time that Actual Completion Date was entered (which Workfront calls $$NOW). There's a bit of fussiness involved to noodle out the delta and ensure it's fair, accurate, and "sticks", but with that Big Brother data in hand, you are then well armed to create reports within a time frame, by user, and (even graphically) observe which way the trend is tipping and have A Conversation. Taking it a Draconian step further, you could even make a more public report that compares users timeliness. The report can be carrot or stick, depending on how you sort it: fun competition in the some cultures, grounds for discipline in others. Either way, I'd caution you to get it right and keep it Eyes Only until you decide how best to play the card. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
I like Doug's solution as always. Another way I address it is simply in our Weekly Status Meetings. I pull up a Dashboard that has a report for the Tasks that were Completed Last Week, and another report for the tasks that are Scheduled for This Week (which includes any past incomplete tasks). So it gives an opportunity to shine the light on the tasks they aren't marking complete. Then I gently remind them to close their tasks and log their time. If it persists I have the opportunity to increasingly publicly shame them in each meeting. �� It's actually worked pretty well. We haven't had this issue in a while now.

Level 2
Good approach. Thanks. Mike Pauley HANYS

Level 2
Hello I agree with the approach described above. One thing to add - we all rather like doing things which are useful. Clicking on buttons which give no effect doesn't interest anyone. Hence, showing your users how you use this gather data - how it affects your due dates, what results on project completion you're achieving that leads to, for example, your requestor's satisfaction, can help in the matter. We're using reports and dashboards on a regular basis, too (at least weekly). If tasks are not completed it's due to external reasons rather than just forgetting or neglecting in marking it completed. Good luck! Marta Marta Bukwa≈õ John Deere

Level 3
I've had this problem regularly, especially when new people are added to the organization and don't understand or appreciate the need. I employ a "Use A Carrot as a Stick If I Must" approach and have found it to be successful. As mentioned, human nature being what it is, people resist doing work that they don't see value in. So, it is important to define value for completing a task, even if that value is they get left alone. Also, sometimes people genuinely forget or get distracted and just need a reminder. In my organization, we have a defined and audited process, so we can motivate people by helping them understand that we can fail an audit. An outside entity may ask them why they didn't close a task or close it on time. I joke with them that if they ask me, I'll give the auditor their personal cell phone number so the auditor can ask them directly why there is not a process or why they don't follow it. We also have templates where there are strong dependencies and someone is waiting to be notified by Workfront that the predecessor is closed. So, if someone does not close a predecessor, the next in line does not know there is work for them to do. I train the users to understand that not completing a task can delay progress of the overall effort, which will bring them undesired attention. I also regularly make someone not completing a task accountable. When I find a task that is not closed when it should, I send them a directed update and ask them to close it. If they don't respond promptly, I send the update again and include their (HR type) manager. If that still does not work, I contact their manager directly. I've been labeled the "Chief Nagger" but I'm good with that if it gets the tasks closed on time. We have regular status meetings and I have been known to publicly bring up a lack of a task being closed in front of peers. This has been labeled "Public Shaming" by team members. It can be highly effective. I let the person know in advance I will bring it up in the meeting if they don't close the task. Part of my approach is to help team members realize it will create more work for them not to close it than it would if they would just close it. They need to understand that, one way or the other, they will have to close the task and it is easier to do it when it is actually done. Vern Phipps Zions Bancorp

Level 10
Excellent anecdotes, Vern. A colleague of mine refers to such a hybrid approach as "beating them with the carrot". Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 5
Hi Doug, I am really interested in this, but very new to WF. So far we use the tasks due today, or overdue tasks report. However, from the above it sounds like you are creating a view with custom data - would you mind telling me what custom data you use to achieve that on the tasks of interest? Thanks! Miranda Rais GVC

Level 10
Hi Miranda, Thanks for your note about how to implement Encouragement custom data to ensure Tasks are completed in a timely fashion. For background, I invite you to read about "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216668788-Creating-Custom-Forms">Creating Custom Forms , "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216652818">Using Calculated Data , "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216652818">Creating a Project Using a Template (so that going forward, all Tasks have the custom form that will track this Encouragement information in place), and/or "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217298287-Editing-Tasks">Editing Tasks (the "in bulk" section) so you can add the custom form to any Tasks that need it (or get missed). There's also a handy "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217025558-View-Task-with-All-Dates-Variance">Task with All Dates Variance view you might consider as a starting point. Using those concepts, you could then create an Encouragement custom form that's attached (via Templates and/or bulk updates) to every Task you care to track, and on that custom form, you could (using positive, desired names) track things (using DATEDIFF, WORKDAYDIFF, and/or WORKMINUTESDIFF "https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/217196767-Understanding-Calculated-Data-Expressions">calculated expressions ) such as: Promptness In Marking Tasks As Closed When the Task's Actual Completion Date gets entered, capture the difference in days between that date and the current time. The lower the number the better, a downward trend over time shows improvement, and exceptionally high numbers warrant inquiry. Confidence In Marking Tasks As Closed When the Task's Actual Completion Date is entered, add 1 to this value every time the Task is then re-edited to track after the fact adjustments. The lower the number the better, a downward trend over time shows improvement, and exceptionally high numbers warrant inquiry. Revisions In Closed Dates When the Closed Date is changed, add 1 to this value. Consider setting, announcing, and highlighting (with colors on your view) an acceptable standard range (e.g. 1 or 2; green), a questionable range (e.g. 3 or 4; yellow), and an explanation required range (e.g. >5; red). Others as you (or those reading) think of them, which you could then add to this Encouragement form over time as your processes mature Returning to the "beating them with the carrot" concept Vern and I discussed, you could then build reports -- whether filtered using $$USER.ID to keep them personal for private conversations, or grouped by person for comparative public shaming -- with the usual With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility speech from Spider-man. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads