Expand my Community achievements bar.

Why can't various team members view Projects?

Level 4

Hi All,

I hope you all are having a better day with Workfront than I am. I'm not a happy camper right now. I think the support team is going to block my number soon lol.

I need the ability for anyone with a WF license to be able to view a project. My layout templates are set correctly, the main menu is set correctly with active items, the person who just reached out to me regarding specific projects has the correct layout template in her profile. WHAT'S GOING ON THAT I'M NOT SEEING.

It was working fine up until now. It seems that every time there's a rollout, all things go haywire.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Linda Kaplan

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

6 Replies

Employee Advisor

@Linda Kaplan‚ In order for a project to appear in the Projects area or as a result via search , the project must be shared with that user. Oftentimes, a user is assigned to a task within a project and therefore inherits project visibility, but if not, you would need to make sure that the sharing permissions are updated accordingly. Projects can be shared directly with users, job roles, groups, teams, and companies or inherited through programs or portfolios. Also, if there are certain projects that everyone in the system needs to see, you can update the project sharing settings and select the gear icon in the top right to make them visible system-wide.

Another thing to take a look at would be access level settings - if projects are not visible at all, check under Setup > Access Levels > (Select the users access level) and make sure that either View or Edit (limited) are selected.

If users are still struggling with project visibility after checking both of those, let me know!

Level 4

Hi Nicole.

Technically everyone who is a registered WF user should be able to view any and all projects. Only workers are set to be able to Edit projects. I just double checked and my access levels are set correctly.

As mentioned above, in the case that prompted me to reach out, the person who couldn't view a project has been able to all along and all of a sudden could not. I'll chalk it up to the system being glitchy for some reason that day.

I'm not finding the project sharing setting you mention above. Where is the gear icon?

Employee Advisor

Linda - just to reiterate, only projects that have been shared with a user (or setup as visible system-wide) can be accessed. So users shouldn't be able to view any and all projects, unless you specifically set them up that way.

In terms of project sharing system-wide, here is a screenshot. It's found under Project Actions > Sharing. Let me know if you have any questions!

0694X00000J1nsiQAB.png

Level 4

So you're saying I have to go into each project individually to share it system-wide, correct?

Yikes. I guess we'll have to add that as a step when converting a request to a project. Thx

Employee Advisor

For existing projects, yes. However, for all future projects that are created, if you are using project templates, you can update the Project Sharing settings by going into the template > Template Actions > Project Sharing > Gear Icon > Make Visible System-Wide. That way, it's automatic moving forward.

Hope that helps!

Level 4

Hi Linda, I don't have a solution for you but I can say I feel your pain. There is definitely something weird happening with the permissions in our account.

There are random teams being granted access to projects that they shouldn't have access to and there are objects inheriting permissions that shouldn't.

Everything was working perfectly until about 2 weeks ago. I have had a ticket in with Support since 4/12, and haven't received anything regarding a resolution yet. I was thinking maybe this was an isolated case, but it sounds like you may be in the same boat.

The Workfront Support team is probably ready to block me as well ... 😫