Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

validation rules on fields - any solutions?

Level 3
I was disappointed to discover that Workfront does not have validation rules for fields, so that we can do some checking on what user enters and give them a message to correct it. In other systems I've worked in, we can set up those rules with a basic If then formula and if the validation is not resolved as true, a dialog box comes up with the message, and the form will not save until it is correct. Has anyone found a workaround that lets you do this kind of validation on fields? Mavis Moon
2 Replies

Level 3
Hi Mavis, We also faced this problem - what I ended up doing is created calculated fields with the if then else logic in them returning cleanup text if there was a problem. eg: CDQ1: IF(LEN(Commentary Exec Summary)<=10,'Commentary must be longer than 10 characters','') I found it useful also to have a calculated field that showed the number of tests that failed as well so that in the report below I can quickly filter to the rows to show. And then I created a report that concatenates all the comments together using text mode so that user can go to one place (and management can see all the errors in one place) - in the below you carry on adding columns for each check you've got - not perfect by any means : column.7.displayname=DQ Condition Combined Commentary column.7.linkedname=direct column.7.namekey=CDQ1_Commentary_Length column.7.querysort=DE:CDQ1_Commentary_Length column.7.sharecol=true column.7.textmode=true column.7.valuefield=CDQ1_Commentary_Length column.7.valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString column.7.width=400 column.8.sharecol=true column.8.textmode=true column.8.value=
column.8.valueformat=HTML column.8.width=1 If you want to have a quick call so I can show you then just get in touch (andrew.parsons@refinitiv.com). Andrew Parsons

Level 3
Thank you! I sent you an email to do a quick phone call. Mavis Moon mmoon@pivotinteriors.com