Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

User report on work split by portfolio or program

Level 2

Hi all,

I'm wondering if you can help please?

We have many users that share their work over several project types (based on portfolios and sub-projects in programs). Recently, we have been asked to look at that work split in terms of percentages to help us allocate budgets in the right area.

Is there any way to create a user report (or any other report type) on planned hours grouped by portfolio or program?

I can make a report with all the projects with planned hours, but I can't see a way to split/group them via portfolio.

In a simple sense, I just need to see the % of what project type a person works on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Reply

Community Advisor

it would help to know more specifics on what you've tried and how it has failed you. I can run through the whole process and number the points where you might have run into trouble.

Generically speaking, in my mind, this would be either a task or assignment report [0] where your user has been assigned to the task or work item -- and the planned hours would be "summarized by" Sum [1]. From here though, you can only group "up" so far (these type of reports might only let you group by project and not portfolio/program)[2]. (Although you can employ textmode we often don't because this doesn't allow for charts to work [3])

Many of us start by employing a set of standard calculated fields to bring the information "down" (standard meaning we make sure they are on every single project custom form as a rule). The calculated field/s on the project custom form will report on which portfolio and program it's in, and then this calculated field is what you group by, on any report that doesn't allow you to go "up" past the project.

From here I only know of 2 charts that will allow for percentages -- pie charts which would allow you to display by portfolio, and grouped bar/column charts, which if you select the "stacked to 100%" option would allow you to display by portfolio and program.

I don't think a user report would allow you to do as much.