Expand my Community achievements bar.

Truncating fields in views or reports

Level 5

Is there a way to truncate what's shown in a field when displayed? The use case is, URL's are wrapping and I don't want them to, nor do I want them to expand a column.

@Jonathan Yu‚

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 7

You can lock the width of a column in text mode by adding usewidths=true and width=#### where the # is your desired column width.

I'm not sure on preventing text wrapping though, hopefully someone else will know if that's an available tweak for you.

Katherine

Level 8

You can do it with a valueexpression, and only show a few characters, but that works best with text fields such as notes. It doesn't work great with URLs, since the browser only sees the partial URL which would be invalid when clicking on it.

What I like to do is to replace the URL string with text. Here is the code for that, just replace all instances of Design Doc URL with your custom field name.

case.0.comparison.icon=false

case.0.comparison.leftmethod=DE:Design Doc URL

case.0.comparison.lefttext=DE:Design Doc URL

case.0.comparison.operator=notblank

case.0.comparison.operatortype=string

case.0.comparison.righttext=

case.0.comparison.truetext=Design Doc URL

displayname=

link.isnewwindow=true

link.url=customDataLabelsAsString(Design Doc URL)

linkedname=direct

namekey=Design Doc URL

querysort=DE:Design Doc URL

styledef.case.0.comparison.icon=false

styledef.case.0.comparison.leftmethod=DE:Design Doc URL

styledef.case.0.comparison.lefttext=DE:Design Doc URL

styledef.case.0.comparison.operator=isblank

styledef.case.0.comparison.operatortype=string

styledef.case.0.comparison.righttext=

styledef.case.0.comparison.truetext=Design Doc URL

textmode=true

valuefield=Design Doc URL

valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

The negative part of both valueexpression and replacing the text, is that you can't edit the URL, so if you need to, Katherine's option to usewidths is the best option.