Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Transfer of Task Custom Form Field Data to Project Custom Form Fields using Calculated Fields

Level 2
Hi, I have a requirement for inidivudal team members to update custom form data at task level, so I'm creating an inidivudal custom form for each task, e.g. Task 1) Define marketing data (1 task custom form), task 2) Define product data (a separate task custom form). I then need a way to roll up the different Task Custom Form data up to the Project level for ease of viewing. I've seen a way to transfer project level custom form data to task level custom forms using calculated fields, but trying to transfer the Task custom field data into the Project level custom fields using caculated fields doesn't seem to work for me. Is it possible to do this? Thanks Regards, Aonghus Aonghus Kelleher
2 Replies

Level 10
Hi Aonghus, You've encountered the meaning of the phrase "you can go down, but not up, in Workfront". In this case, it is not possible to automatically pull information "up" into a Project from two separate Tasks, unless you use the API (e.g. either natively, or via Workfront's Fusion offering, or with our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/ubercalc/">UberCalc solution). The closest suggestion using only Native Workfront I can suggest would be to create a Task level Matrix report set to view the "max" of all such custom data fields of interest, filtered to only the Projects and (two) Tasks in question (perhaps via their Custom Form names), then grouped by Project horizontally and Task name Vertically, which would result in a crude but perhaps effective enough grid of the information you seek. That said, if you like it well enough, you could then put that report on a dashboard, then add a custom tab pointing at that dashboard at the Project level, thereby automatically filtering the report to the current Project's information and simply displaying it. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 10
That one-to-many thing gets me every time too! I'm thinking you can do a project report with a lot of "collection" fields and then combining them with sharecol=true. You can then put that in a dashboard and put that dashboard in the layout so that it is on all the projects and automatically puts in the projectID. But this might only work if there is only one task with the value you need. (We tried it for Spec Sheets, but once we had multiple spec sheets on a project, we had to go with another approach, similar but different) Here is the idea: Create a project report, add some blank columns, and then remove the other ones. Then starting all the way to the right, pasting in collection and or HTML code and then go left until you get to Column 1. Here are a few examples to help you get started: Column 6: listdelimiter=
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=DE:Field 3 valueformat=HTML Column 5: sharecol=true textmode=true value= DEFINE PRODUCT DATA: Field 3:  valueformat=HTML Column 4: listdelimiter=
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=DE:Field 2 valueformat=HTML sharecol=true Column 3: sharecol=true textmode=true value= Field 2:  valueformat=HTML Column 2: listdelimiter=
listmethod=nested(tasks).lists textmode=true type=iterate valuefield=DE:Field 1 valueformat=HTML sharecol=true Column 1: sharecol=true textmode=true value= DEFINE MARKETING DATA: Field 1:  valueformat=HTML displayname=Task Custom Form Info On This Project Hope this is helpful Anthony Imgrund FCB