Expand my Community achievements bar.

tracking template changes

Level 6
We are looking to centralize template management and one challenge we need to address is the ability to track when changes are made, by who and what changes were made. I can get the first two within a template report, but I'm not seeing a way to track what was done. I was thinking of using the Updates tab as a Track Changes record, but we don't want that info carrying over when creating projects. Any suggestions for tracking changes and bringing this info into reporting? Catherine Hayes The Channel Company
3 Replies

Level 7
Hey Catherine, I'm not sure how many people you have given the ability to to make template changes but for us its just the system admins (two of us). We kept getting change requests at least 2/3 times a week and then we was usually expected to liaise with the different teams that would be affected to check the impact the proposed changes would have. To try and eliminate all the different requests and the chasing around we have now set up what we call a template committee. We hold them monthly and a representative from each team will be expected to attend. We send out an agenda beforehand so if none of the proposed changes affect your team you won't need to attend if you don't want to. We will record on a gdoc each requested change, what template(s) will be affected and then the outcome of the meeting. We will circulate the doc again to everyone once all changes have been made by us but this has helped us keep everything in one place, we are also amongst the conversations that are happening so it gives us context behind the request for change and helped us be a bit more structured. Hope this helps! Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 2
I have a change log project that I use for this. I add each change as an issue on the project. I also created a naming convention for the issues. Example: "TEMPLATE CHANGE: Remove xyz task". I add more info as needed. I also have a request queue where changes can be submitted to me for review. As I streamline things, the goal would be to receive the request and then turn it into an issue on this project. Just adding it as an issue has been working pretty well though! I do the same thing for form changes. Jessi Volaric

Level 10
Hi Catherine, I would consider setting up a queue topic for "Template Changes" in your support queue and manage the template changes as issues. In the issue, have a custom for with two fields: Template ID (Single Line Text) Change Details (Paragraph Text) You can log the details in the paragraph field or as an attachment. The primary contact can be the requester. The actual completion date is also captured when finished. Alternatively, you can add a custom form to the template that is visible to the admins only with the change details tracked in forms. Narayan Raum "https://suntrustedo.my.workfront.com/dashboard/view?ID=5c1bf1f90046e70adeecf882731a47b9"> Workfront Center of Excellence Delivery Lead Enterprise Data & Governance Execution (EDGE) SunTrust Bank