Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!
SOLVED

Timesheet custom report that displays days of the week as columns

Level 4

Hi All,

I'm attempting to build a timesheets report that displays hours entered exactly how the timesheets look (with days of the week represented as columns).  I'm trying to create a report that displays like this, but for all users that are assigned timesheets.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 5

@SethPorrazzo Instead of creating a Timesheet report, I'd suggest creating an Hour report.

When setting up the report, include the following columns:

• Owner >> Name
  • Hour Type >> Name
  • Hour >> Entry Date
  • Hour >> Hours

Then go to the Groupings tab and switch to Matrix Grouping. Then select the following:

• Row Groupings: Owner >> Name
  • Row Groupings: Hour Type >> Name
  • Column Groupings: Hour >> Entry Date
    • Group Dates by: Day
  • Matrix Settings: Turn off "Show Value Column"

That should give you a basic matrix report that looks like a timesheet. You also may want to filter the report by Entry Date, otherwise you'll get ALL dates.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 5

@SethPorrazzo Instead of creating a Timesheet report, I'd suggest creating an Hour report.

When setting up the report, include the following columns:

• Owner >> Name
  • Hour Type >> Name
  • Hour >> Entry Date
  • Hour >> Hours

Then go to the Groupings tab and switch to Matrix Grouping. Then select the following:

• Row Groupings: Owner >> Name
  • Row Groupings: Hour Type >> Name
  • Column Groupings: Hour >> Entry Date
    • Group Dates by: Day
  • Matrix Settings: Turn off "Show Value Column"

That should give you a basic matrix report that looks like a timesheet. You also may want to filter the report by Entry Date, otherwise you'll get ALL dates.

Level 4

Can this report be extracted into an excel spreadsheet as it's displayed in the report?

Level 5

Yes, when I export my test report to an .xlsx file I get three different worksheets:

1. The first worksheet looks exactly like the Workfront report
  2. The second worksheet is a condensed view, with the Hours grouped based on your groupings in the Workfront report (by Owner, Hour type, and Entry date)
  3. The third worksheet seems to be arranged in a way that you'd want if you were going to try to build some data visualizations in Excel or import the data into Tableau or Power BI. It has four columns, one for each data field: Owner, Hour Type, Entry Date, Hours.

Level 4

this is perfect.  I noticed there isn't the ability to have more than two groupings using the matrix.  Is there a way to add more groupings?

Level 5

Not that I am aware of. There was an Idea submitted here I while back that I would recommend Liking.