Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

The project status should change from 'In Progress' to 'Closed' upon closing out the last task (Setting it to 100%). However, often times, a random project does not automatically set the status to closed. Does anyone know why?

Level 4

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Yolanda,

The first thing I would check is what 'completion mode' has been selected within the project settings. When it's set to automatic, project status will automatically change to closed when the overall percent complete is 100%. If it's set to manual, the Project owner would always have to manually change the status to closed.

If the completion mode is set to automatic and the status is still not changing, it's likley that you have some open issues or outstanding approvals on your tasks within the project.

Best Regards,

Rich.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Yolanda,

The first thing I would check is what 'completion mode' has been selected within the project settings. When it's set to automatic, project status will automatically change to closed when the overall percent complete is 100%. If it's set to manual, the Project owner would always have to manually change the status to closed.

If the completion mode is set to automatic and the status is still not changing, it's likley that you have some open issues or outstanding approvals on your tasks within the project.

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 10

Also it won’t close if there are open Issues/Requests attached to the project, so check that tab to see if there are any there and close those out too

Level 10

Hi @Yolanda Rowe‚

I agree with @Richard Leek‚ , we have the similar challenge a year ago, specially was happening for Work license users. They always completed the last task, and the project was waiting for status change from project owners. then we changed the completion mode as automatic. And now project status changes automatically once the last task is completed (If all issues are closed). This reduced a lot of extra time. And the project sponsor get informed about that project is completed.

Mvh

Kundan.

Level 4

Thank you all so much for the wonderful feedback. Turns out the issue was the particular template being used the 'Completion Mode' was set to manual so I switched it to automatic.

However, it is good to know that if there is an open issue/request that it may also be the cause.

Community Advisor

Additionally if there are any tasks with an approval on them that hasn't been approved or rejected, that will hold the project open as well.

I've also had random projects - too random for anyone to be able to duplicate - where the completion mode is set to automatic, no open issues or tasks, no pending approvals and the project still just doesn't go to Complete. I manually switch it to complete and it holds. It happends but rarely.