Expand my Community achievements bar.

Attention: Experience League Community will undergo scheduled maintenance on Tuesday, August 20th between 10-11 PM PDT. During this time, the Community and its content will not be accessible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
SOLVED

Text Mode Report Assistance - Negative gap between start date and due date of two tasks

Level 1

Has anyone ever created a report that shows a negative gap between the due date of one task in a project and the start date of another?  I could use some text mode assistance.  

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @bpilarsk1,

Using native reporting functionality, each item in a report can only retrieve data about itself, its parent(s), and its “iterations” (eg a Project’s Tasks, a Task’s Issues, an Issue’s Expenses, etc.), noting that although the latter can (by looping through every item  “expensively”) be reduced using an IF statement, it can not be sorted or aggregated.

Although I have created (expensive) Project reports with iterations on one or more columns to IF specific Task details, and (similarly expensive) Task reports with iterations on each Task “up” to its Project “down” to (all) its Tasks (including the current Task) to also IF specific Task details, doing math to “show a negative gap” is not possible, even with textmode.

So! Some other paths to consider:

• Going the Extra Milestone blog post, which might give you an idea on a way to relate the Tasks of interest using a third Task whose duration represents the gap you are after
  • creating Baselines which are powerful, and can be used to calculate differences in dates…but only between a Task and its (default) Baseline Task; see our Multi Baseline Report video for further imaginings
  • if none of the above meets your requirements, I’d wager our Magic Reports solution could do so

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @bpilarsk1,

Using native reporting functionality, each item in a report can only retrieve data about itself, its parent(s), and its “iterations” (eg a Project’s Tasks, a Task’s Issues, an Issue’s Expenses, etc.), noting that although the latter can (by looping through every item  “expensively”) be reduced using an IF statement, it can not be sorted or aggregated.

Although I have created (expensive) Project reports with iterations on one or more columns to IF specific Task details, and (similarly expensive) Task reports with iterations on each Task “up” to its Project “down” to (all) its Tasks (including the current Task) to also IF specific Task details, doing math to “show a negative gap” is not possible, even with textmode.

So! Some other paths to consider:

• Going the Extra Milestone blog post, which might give you an idea on a way to relate the Tasks of interest using a third Task whose duration represents the gap you are after
  • creating Baselines which are powerful, and can be used to calculate differences in dates…but only between a Task and its (default) Baseline Task; see our Multi Baseline Report video for further imaginings
  • if none of the above meets your requirements, I’d wager our Magic Reports solution could do so

Regards,

Doug