Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Text Mode Help

Level 4

I am wondering if anyone can help provide direction on this - I have two brand fields - CSBrand and BrandDepartmentNonAutomation that are used by a team. The team would like to see the Brand on their dashboard, and I was wondering if there's a way to merge data from both fields into one in the dashboard? so if CSBrand is Blank, Display BrandDepartmentNonAutomation? I am really a novice when it comes to text mode, so wondering how to do this.

Thank you for any help or guidance!

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Naushin,

Yes this is possible within a report view. You would need to add a column to your view, switch it to text mode and add the following text mode code:

displayname=Brand

textmode=true

valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({DE:CSBrand}),{DE:BrandDepartmentNonAutomation},{DE:CSBrand})

valueformat=customDataLabelsAsString

Best Regards,

Rich

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi Naushin,

Yes this is possible within a report view. You would need to add a column to your view, switch it to text mode and add the following text mode code:

displayname=Brand

textmode=true

valueexpression=IF(ISBLANK({DE:CSBrand}),{DE:BrandDepartmentNonAutomation},{DE:CSBrand})

Best Regards,

Rich

Level 4

I'm being a little greedy here, but is there any way I can utilize a similar logic to display a chart/graph that shows all issues by Brand but somehow the system very smartly sums up all the requests for the same brand across both fields? As a rule, BrandDepartmentNonAutomation will be filled out only if CSBrand is blank. But I have no idea how to show total by Brand in a chart form if the brand is pulling from two fields...

Community Advisor

Hi Naushin,

No problem, happy to help! Yes this is also possible, but to achieve it you would need to create a calculated custom data field and add it to your custom form. You would need to use the following code for the calculation:

IF(ISBLANK(CSBrand,(BrandDepartmentNonAutomation),CSBrand)

This would only work on new issues that you create (which have the custom form attached). In order for historic issues to be updated with the calculated values, you would need to ensure that you select 'recalculate custom expressions' on each of the issues. You can do this by selecting all objects, bulk editing them and choosing 'recalculate custom expressions' as shown in the screen shot attached.

Once this has been done, you would need to use the newly created calculated custom field in your reports (make sure you group by the field in your report if you want to use it in a chart).

There is a great article on Workfront one here on how to do this0694X00000As8IiQAJ.png

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

Rich.

Level 4

Thank you so much again, Rich! What if there was a third field that would activate for brand if the option selected in CSBrand or BrandDepartmentNonAutomation = Other? The Other Brand is a free form text field that users can enter brands not in the drop-down. How would I add that to the calculation?

I really need to go back to math class...

Community Advisor

Hi Naushin,

Obvioulsy replace 'FreeFormText' with your own field name, but this should do it:

displayname=Brand

textmode=true

valueexpression=IF({DE:CSBrand}="Other",{DE:FreeFormText},IF({DE:BrandDepartmentNonAutomation}="Other",{DE:FreeFormText},IF(ISBLANK({DE:CSBrand}),{DE:BrandDepartmentNonAutomation},{DE:CSBrand})))

Best Regards,

Rich

Level 4

Oh my gosh, Thank you, Rich, I truly appreciate it! Do you offer training classes I can attend to be better at logical expressions?

Community Advisor

Hi Naushin,

Glad I could help! I've just sent you a message with my contact details, feel free to reach out to me directly and we can discuss how I can help you further.

Best Regards,

Rich.