Expand my Community achievements bar.

Template Usage

Level 5
In an effort to clean up some of what was left from a previous SA, I would like to delete some of what I think are unused templates. I can't seem to get the right reporting to show me which active templates have not been used to create a project in the last year. Michelle Bowden Fiserv ETG
5 Replies

Level 7
The EXISTS (or in this case NOTEXISTS) text code should be able to work for this. Taking text code from a "Programs Without Projects" report that I have for admin cleanup, I just changed a couple of items to get the following - on a Template report, in the Filter tab, switch to text mode and add: EXISTS:a:$$EXISTSMOD=NOTEXISTS EXISTS:a:$$OBJCODE=PROJ EXISTS:a:templateID=FIELD:ID isActive=true isActive_Mod=eq This will give you Active Templates that do not have any Projects associated to them at all. It doesn't do the subset of within the last year, but gets you part of the way for admin cleanup. I tested out the results of the above report by going to a Projects report afterward and filtering on the template id/name to see if any projects popped up, and none did. Terry Hynd EBSCO Information Services

Level 5
Thank you so much @Terry Hynd . This got me what I needed. Michelle Bowden Fiserv ETG

Level 10

Bringing this up to the top because it's a good filter, but hoping to find a way to see when was the last time a template was used to create a project -- I can't find a "last used date" field - or "last project this was used for"

I found this idea so I'm thinking what I want isn't possible but getting me any closer to figuring out which templates I can ignore would be great https://one.workfront.com/s/idea/0874X000000oO7mQAE/detail

Community Advisor

hey Jill, you will want to add a couple more lines to that exists statement about the project's entry date.

(i.e. Terry's statement says "find me any templates where no projects were created off them". You want one that now says "find me any templates where no projects have been created off them in the past year" -- or whatever your date is. )

And both of these are great filters to have, but they don't cover the concept of sub-templates -- templates applied after a template has already been applied. Any template that was created for the purpose of attaching partway through the project should be carefully labeled or marked in some way so it doesn't accidentally fall prey to these exists statements.

Level 10

Ok I'm answering myself because I found a workaround that involves Excel, so not within WF as I hoped, but I have my answer. I make a PROJECT report for a given time period (ie the last year) and then I have a column that shows which template was used on each project. Then I export to Excel and pivot table and voila, there I have it, all the templates used in the last year.