Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

task predecessor advice

Level 5

Hi All,

I need to make a tweak to a project schedule I was given.  The original schedule has my team's task (task 27) with a basic Finish-Start predecessor of the task before it (task 26):

schedule original.png

However, after some clarification, I've learned that task 27 (a) can begin after task 24 is complete; and (b) will require additional work (taking the planned 5-day duration) after task 26 is complete.  I'm playing around with two possible predecessor scenarios, and I wanted to see what others would recommend.

Scenario 1: use a Scheduled-Start dependency for the task 26 predecessor (this keeps the schedule dates the same, but task 27 does not get marked as Can Start when task 24 is completed):

sd.png

Scenario 2: use a Finish-Finish dependency for the task 26 predecessor and add a lag of 5 days (this marks task 27 as Can Start when task 24 is completed, but the schedule dates change slightly):

ff plus lag.png

I'm curious as to what approach others use for similar setups.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think your scenario #2 is what I'd do. We know either way that you want to add a predecessor for task 24, as you've done in both scenarios. The +5d after task 26 I think is helpful because you know it can't be done until after 26 is complete but you want to give yourself time to do it (5 days in this case), so if you think 5 days is an appropriate duration, I think that you did is good!

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

I think your scenario #2 is what I'd do. We know either way that you want to add a predecessor for task 24, as you've done in both scenarios. The +5d after task 26 I think is helpful because you know it can't be done until after 26 is complete but you want to give yourself time to do it (5 days in this case), so if you think 5 days is an appropriate duration, I think that you did is good!

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )