Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Task Actual Start Date

Level 4

How is the actual task start date triggered in Workfront?

The actual start in the columns indicates 9/8/22, but when we check the update on the task, it actually started on 9/21/2022.

Upd_.PNGCol_.PNGe update on the 

4 Replies

Community Advisor

Check your general task settings in setup area. Not sure if our settings are default, but that's what I expect, when users sets task/issue to INP, Actual start time is being recorded.

Rafal_Bainie_0-1669039948774.png

Level 4

Yes same settings - weird though showing different dates in Columns compare to task updates

Capture.PNG

Community Advisor

not exactly the same, if this is unlocked, than potentially can be modified on group level.

One other thing that comes to mind, depending on layout template settings, if Actual Start Date is visible for users, than they can go in to Details tab and update this manually...
- user goes in and updates the status

- user than goes and udpates the actual start date

Employee

Hi - there are two reasons I can think of where the actual start date is different from when the status changed to In Progress.

1 - Actual Hours have been logged to the task. Not sure if you all do timesheets, but I'd check the Task Details and see if there are an Actual Hours attached to the task.

2 - The fields for Actual Start and Actual Completion can be manually changed.  Unfortunately, the system doesn't audit those fields by default, so for this one it would be hard to know. I would however go to Setup -> Interface -> Update Feed and adding Actual Start Date and Actual Completion Date to the feed so you know who triggered or changed the Actual Dates.  (And feel free to audit any important fields. There is a 300 field limit for your instance, but the more you audit, the more you can see in the update stream or report on via Journal Entry object)