Expand my Community achievements bar.

Tagging Document/Proof Versions

Level 9
One of my users proposed an interesting idea that I don't really have a ready solution for. She suggested the ability to tag a version of a proof, sort of giving it a subtitle. We often receive version of our documents back from our clients with annotated changes that we then load into Workfront and would like to then be able to add a sort of synopsis of what that document version is (ex- Document Name v12; subtitle: integrated comments from both legal and faculty). Can anyone think of a way to do something remotely like that with the existing WF tools? Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group
3 Replies

Level 10
Wow. I mean, I kind of do this by renaming the filename before I upload the next file, and then the generated proof retains that name. But I have never tried to report on this or expose this information in any way. (In the workflow I was maintaining, it was enough that we could view the version and look at the proof name) So depending on why you would want to store that information, this might not work for you. In addition my proof names aren't that long. From a reporting standpoint, I do notice that "proof name" is a field. So I wonder if that's where Workfront is storing MY proof's name. Other than this, you might want to consider using the document description field, and stop stacking versions (each version is its own file) so you can easily locate different versions and descriptions? -skye

Level 9
Using the filename for that information does seem like a fairly low-impact solution...I definitely don't want to encourage anyone to not stack versions- we have a hard enough time with document "clutter" and confusion as it is. Thanks for responding! Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group

Level 10
ya, no prob and do write back with details if you get it working to your users' liking. The only other thing that crossed my mind (and this is such a lo-tech solution) is just to have a freeform paragraph custom field at the document level, and add all the versioning information there, in one blob. e.g. v1: legal comments v2: proof 2 v3: faculty comments v4: proof 3 v5: integrated legal and faculty comments v6: final (all in one field) This is probably one of the most visible (and clunky?) options :), but does mean that you can run just a plain document report and always get all the information in one blob. -skye