Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Shorten the displayed text in a report

Level 3

One of our teams uses a custom form which request descriptions which can be rather long.

I have built a report to summarise information submitted on the custom form which contains the description fields. I have included a screenshot to illustrate an example of the length.

Is there a way to limit the amount of detail shown in the report details tab without removing this column? A way so only, for example, half of the content is shown?

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 3

This should do it. 

valueexpression=LEFT({DE:Please tell us what you would like},150)

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Level 3

Hi, 

You can use the following to limit what is show. Since you noted the description field that is what I used.  The 25 would be the number of characters you would like to show. 

valueexpression=LEFT({description},25)

If this helps, please mark as correct so it can help others. 

Level 3

Thanks for your response. 

I have pasted this in but it results in the column becoming completely blank. 

The title of the column concerned is 'Please tell us what you would like' and I also replaced this in the coding you sent but the result is the same and the column shows blank. 

Any ideas?

Level 3

please provide the original text for the column so I can take a look. 

Hi @thonewton,

I’d suggest you check in Setup > Custom Forms > click the second tab > click the magnifying glass > search for the parameter of interest > click it > compare the label (which should match what you have just provided, as presented to users) against its name (which ‘might differ, and is what to then use in the valueexpression formula).

If that still does work, uploading a screenshot of the value and name along with the complete textmode you’ve attempted for the LEFT formula should be sufficient to then deduce and offer a solution.

Regards,

Doug

Hi Doug

Thanks for your response. 

I haven't been able to affect the result with what you advised.

I have attached screenshots here. 

Thomas

Community Advisor

I believe you need the "DE:" in your value expression, just like it's in the querysort line.

Well spotted @ChrisStephens,

Although the DE prefix (“Data Extensions”) used to be optional, it is best practice, and may indeed be required, so I concur.

Regards,

Doug

Correct answer by
Level 3

This should do it. 

valueexpression=LEFT({DE:Please tell us what you would like},150)