Expand my Community achievements bar.

Schedule from start versus completion date question

Level 2
Hi, Looking for some help on the easiest way to fix the planned start and completion dates of a large project. The 2018 version of the project was copied and used to build the 2019 version of the project because the majority of the tasks are the same. Just 2019 dates instead of 2018 basically. However, I just learned the original planned start date of 2018 has transferred over to the 2019 version. Even though all of the tasks have been updated and built out correctly for 2019. I need the planned start to be 2019. I am scared to just change it bc it could impact the task dates. I was thinking to copy the project and remove all of the tasks. Set the start date correctly and then move the tasks over from the previous project. Thanks! Peter Mitchell Prudential Financial -Business Performance Solutions
4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Peter, One quick way would be to save the 2018 version as a Template (even just a One Off), then create the new 2019 Project from that Template. By doing so, all the Tasks will come (in "New" state) in with the same durations as we-last-saw-them in 2018, and (assuming your Project is Planned From Start Date) will all have the appropriate dates starting with the Project Start Date that you enter when you create the 2019 Project and working out into the future as per the Template. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Will the assignments, task status, and progress carry over to the template and then to the new project as well? Peter Mitchell Prudential Financial -Business Performance Solutions

Level 10
Hi Peter, Ah: no, using my Template approach would effectively clear everything back so that you could create an empty project. If -- suspecting I misunderstood your intention -- you copy a (2018) Project (as you did), yes, all the assignments, progress, dates are replicated. To then "make it" a 2019 Project, you could then delete all the tasks prior to 2019 (as perhaps you've done), and similarly on the original 2018 Project, you could delete all the tasks in 2019 or later: so effectively breaking the Project into two. Once the respective Tasks are deleted, I'd suggest you recalculate the timeline to see if that will correct the 2019 Project Start Date to align with the first Task's Planned Start Date (but suspect you might have to manually update the Project Start Date, if it does not). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Thank you Doug! I was able to fix all of my projects with no issues. Peter Mitchell Enabling Solutions