Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Review users to determine if they should have a Plan License vs. Work

Level 3

We typically use more plan licenses than work licenses. I believe that many of those with with with plan access really should be moved to a work license based on them not being a project owner.

Does anybody do a regular audit of their licenses to ensure users have the right one based on their usage of Workfront? I image there is a report that could be used to cover more than just logins but focus on how they are using the tool/what they are doing in it. Perhaps some sort of report, users or project, to show has this user been a project owner and if so when?

Thanks!.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there! It is typical for group or sys WF admins to do license audits, yes. It really depends on your org. Couple examples of where I just was a sys admin to now where I'm a different admin:
- In prior role, everyone with a paid license all had Plan since it was often that people that weren't just PMs were setting up projects and needed to do Plan-related things in WF. Everyone else outside our group had Review. No one had Work bc since both the same cost, want to give them more access. Again, this is what worked for that team.

- In current role with different group now, they are much more strict around access levels/licenses and those who set up projects are the only ones with Plan, those who are assigned work are Work, everyone else Review. They have a Fusion scenario that downgrades people's licenses based on activity in past 3 months. 

For easy visibility over users, I like having columns in the View of the users page that should group/team/license type/etc. - any info like this on the user so don't have to click in to see. At the very minimum, you of course should be reviewing who has what license every year before your contract renewal.

Somewhere in experience league there is a usage dashboard with kickstarts you can upload to your instance to create some great usage-related reports if you want some helpful report ideas. If this was helpful for you, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

Hi there! It is typical for group or sys WF admins to do license audits, yes. It really depends on your org. Couple examples of where I just was a sys admin to now where I'm a different admin:
- In prior role, everyone with a paid license all had Plan since it was often that people that weren't just PMs were setting up projects and needed to do Plan-related things in WF. Everyone else outside our group had Review. No one had Work bc since both the same cost, want to give them more access. Again, this is what worked for that team.

- In current role with different group now, they are much more strict around access levels/licenses and those who set up projects are the only ones with Plan, those who are assigned work are Work, everyone else Review. They have a Fusion scenario that downgrades people's licenses based on activity in past 3 months. 

For easy visibility over users, I like having columns in the View of the users page that should group/team/license type/etc. - any info like this on the user so don't have to click in to see. At the very minimum, you of course should be reviewing who has what license every year before your contract renewal.

Somewhere in experience league there is a usage dashboard with kickstarts you can upload to your instance to create some great usage-related reports if you want some helpful report ideas. If this was helpful for you, please mark correct to help others : )

If this helped you, please mark correct to help others : )