Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Retaining historical data when queue topics are deleted

Level 2

Hi- Our company has a need to report and retain on historical information. Since in WF, there isn't a way to deactivate or unselect an active queue topic (at least not that Im aware of), how are folks handling these types of changes to still have the ability and visibility to show what queue topic the work came from. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

your custom form lives on every single object created through that queue. By putting the calculated form on your form, you effectively propagate it to all objects using that form.

When you delete the queue topic, it doesn't matter--all you've done is prevented future objects being made in this manner, and affected the system fields on existing objects.

If you delete the form, or the field, you're screwed, so don't do that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Community Advisor

this kind of information should be permanently stamped on your issue custom forms using a calculated field, and then reports should report off this field instead of the queue topic name. For example if you call your calculated field NewField, it would look something like this:

IF(ISBLANK(NewField),Queue Topic.Name,NewField)

i.e. if NewField is blank, pui the queue topic name in here. Otherwise leave it alone. This ensures that when the queue topic is changed or deleted, the field will remain unchanged.

Level 2

Hi- Thank you for your quick response. How would I get around this is the request form lives on the queue topic that is being removed? - I've obviously missing something😀

Correct answer by
Community Advisor

your custom form lives on every single object created through that queue. By putting the calculated form on your form, you effectively propagate it to all objects using that form.

When you delete the queue topic, it doesn't matter--all you've done is prevented future objects being made in this manner, and affected the system fields on existing objects.

If you delete the form, or the field, you're screwed, so don't do that.

Level 10

I concur Skye,

And for no particular reason at all, including True Story, would add, hypothetically, that if you do rely on this approach, be very, very, very careful to NOT ever remove that custom field OR "clear" its formula, since, theoretically, that could cause the calculated data to be lost, permanently (e.g. if the Queue Topic no longer exists).

Or so I'm told.

Regards,

Doug