Hi WF Community,
As we dig into the Resource Planner, we're coming across a request from our Resource Manager that we're unsure how to accomplish. Wondering if anyone knows how to achieve the following?
She wants to:
This feels like it should be easy; however, in my attempt to achieve this, the resulting projects that displayed show both projects that the Creative team was assign to tasks within them, and projects where the Creative team was not assigned to any of the tasks with said projects. This makes it difficult for our Resource Manager to depend on the information being filtered and displayed, and then move things around accordingly.
Oh, my attempt at the proper filter for this was as follows:
I used the Pools filter, but that inflated the AVL column value by summing all resource pools on the projects the Creative team was on.
Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.
We have a couple of solutions that could handle your requirement, but first, trying to stick with what's possible out of the box, albeit untested as it kinda depends on having the right/wrong data in hand...
Perhaps the Projects that do not have Creative Team assignments assigned to them yet do have Tasks assigned to Roles that could be performed by those Creative Team members who are capable of performing those Roles, in case you want to assign those Tasks to those Users, in order to Balance The Workload.
If that turns out to be the case, perhaps you could also tweak the filter to exclude unassigned Tasks, thereby seeing "only" what's currently assigned, if that is your main objective.
Thanks for the response, Doug.
I checked some of the projects showing up, and the users AND roles assigned to all tasks does not include the possibility of a Creative team member being associated to any of the roles. In addition to that, viewing Resource Planner by project (view) doesn't allow me to put a task filter on it (e.g. unassigned). I appreciate the idea, however.
And thanks for the link to your capacity charts. Keeping this on file for future use case potential.
Huh! Very curious, Nick.
The unexpected presence of the those Tasks sound help ticket worthy to me, in that case. As for the idea of adding some more filtering, perhaps @Jeremy Flores‚ can advise you of the best way (idea Share and/or Innovation Lab) to raise your suggestion(s), and @Vazgen Babayan‚ can confirm which of them might already be on Workfront's development plans.
As for me, I'd be happy to chat more about Capacity Charting whenever you're ready -- feel free to email me then at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hi Nick, Doug,
That's a limitation of the Resource Planner, as in it doesn't allow to sort projects based on what users are in it. There will be a need to create a custom filter, not connected to the existing filter logic to support this flow, as of now that's not on our short term roadmap. I would recommend submitting this to the Innovation Lab, that will help us better prioritize that item against other initiatives.
Thanks again for the interest!