Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Resource assignment on project level

Level 3

As far as I understand, the way to do resource assignment in WF is based on tasks, i.e. the capacity per individual is a buildup of the time allocated against each tasks in a project.

Is there a way, in the Resource Management page, to allocate individuals on a project level?

For example, I want Workfront to display a view of people's capacity like this, regardless of the tasks:

May     |     June     |     July     | 

John Smith

-- Project A         10%     |     10%     |     20%

-- Project B          5%     |       5%      |      5%

-- Project C         20%    |     10%      |      0%

Adam Johnson

-- Project D         20%     |     10%     |    10%

-- Project E          15%    |     15%     |    15%

-- Project F           5%     |       5%     |      5%

Obviously one main challenge is the work assignment in Workfront happens on the task level, never on the project level. There is no out-of-the-box field on the project level to do the sum up from all the tasks that a person has been assigned to.

If this is not something the standard resource management functionality is capable of, probably one of the clumsy workarounds would be to build a custom form on the project level and pull up a report like that. But then the "month" fields will just keep piling up in the system if we were to try to keep the capacity history.

Has someone had similar requirements in the past and what would be the approach they ended up taking?

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated!

Thanks,

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @MarTechMischief,

Even when it's not what you want to hear, sometimes it's helpful to hear it anyway, so to confirm your thoughts...

• yes, the way to do resource assignment in WF is based on tasks, i.e. the capacity per individual is a buildup of the time allocated against each tasks in a project
  • yes, the work assignment in Workfront happens on the task level, never on the project level
  • no, there is no out-of-the-box field on the project level to do the sum up from all the tasks that a person has been assigned to (although once you do have that task level assigned data, you can do some pretty cool things with it)

In this thread, @skyehansen shared some good don't-fight-city-hall advice on how to roll with the As Designed features, so I decided to mention it, in case they might help you, too.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @MarTechMischief,

Even when it's not what you want to hear, sometimes it's helpful to hear it anyway, so to confirm your thoughts...

• yes, the way to do resource assignment in WF is based on tasks, i.e. the capacity per individual is a buildup of the time allocated against each tasks in a project
  • yes, the work assignment in Workfront happens on the task level, never on the project level
  • no, there is no out-of-the-box field on the project level to do the sum up from all the tasks that a person has been assigned to (although once you do have that task level assigned data, you can do some pretty cool things with it)

In this thread, @skyehansen shared some good don't-fight-city-hall advice on how to roll with the As Designed features, so I decided to mention it, in case they might help you, too.

Regards,

Doug