Expand my Community achievements bar.

Requiring a user to input a note/ description to log time to a specific task?

Level 2
Is there a way to require a user to input a note/ description if they want to log time to a specific task? We are trying to understand all the hours that go along with a project. We have laid out all tasks but there is general work that needs to take place by our Account team that may not have a specific task associated with that work. We still want to log it but just not to a task. Now, the issue is, I also don't want that to be the general rule and have them just dump all their hours to general oversight. So, I wanted to see if there was a way to force them to submit a note if they want to log time to general overhead so that at least their is some additional work they need to do if they want to use general oversight. If anyone has done or seen a different way, I would be grateful to hear. thanks Layne
1 Reply

Level 10
Hi Layne. I'm not aware of a way to force users to provide a note when they enter an hour (although I like the idea). Practically speaking, what I personally do is: navigate to the appropriate item (e.g. Project, Task, etc.) click the Updates tab (which is normally the first tab, on our layout templates) click the Log Time tab (optional...but important) set the Hours Type drop down as appropriate enter the hour(s) on the day(s) as appropriate return to the Project level view choose the Hours tab (from the More button) choose a special view (once, since it is "sticky") that shows the Description column (and optionally, you could make this "red" if it is blank) fill in the descriptions on mass, as needed If people use the Log Hours button instead, the Notes are available at the bottom of the popup, but they're not required, so having a report for the "red" exceptions is likely still a good idea. Finally, I'd invite folks who like to track their time as they are working to consider our Stopwatch solution, which in many respects is the most mature and timely approach. And if including Notes within Stopwatch (and perhaps even forcing them) would be helpful, please let us know so we can consider it for our road map. Regards, Doug