Expand my Community achievements bar.

Reporting: Group multi-selective fields in charts

Level 2
Dearest Workfront Community, It's my first time reaching out to you, though I have been browsing a lot of threads and... I thought you could help me out on a few questions! :). The situation is that we are currently tracking projects and their KPI relation on a custom field, which is multi-selective (check-boxes). Using the text-mode we were able to group projects (if I remember correctly) on this custom field in a list, but we were not able to use this grouping on a chart. Is there any way to do so? Even though we are thinking of replacing this field with maybe two fields (primary & secondary KPI as a drop down) this info could be potentially interesting for other fields as well! By using text mode we were also able to change the HomeTeamID to HomeTeam:name and it works perfectly on the list; but not on the chart. Is there any workaround that I just did not find yet? I just can't imagine that one can not group projects/tasks by the owner's home team name... Last but not least a little different question: Is there a way to get a drop-down for existing project names into a custom form which is then used in a request? This would help a LOT, as we do collect all requests in one "bucket" and distribute them afterwards. Building request queues on each project would be just an absolute overkill! I really hope some of you can help me out here!! Kind regards, Marius Marius Uzolas HERE
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

2 Replies

Level 10
Welcome to the party, Marius. Those are interesting questions, and I suspect there are many possible approaches, but here are mine: After banging my head on several other alternatives, I now recommend avoiding multi select dropdowns in these cases, and instead, simply create a separate checkbox for each of the entries. In doing so, Workfront can effortlessly filter, group, sort, and chart on any of them; and if and when the time comes to report those items with similar combinations together, simply add a calculated parameter and CONCAT each of the selected values together...which Workfront (huh!) can also then filter, group, sort, and chart. My rule of thumb (especially around charting) is "for best results, persist the data in the data in the database at the lowest common denominator". Same concept: I'd suggest you pull the Project Owner's Home Group into a calculated parameter on a Project custom form, which is similar to my "http://store.atappstore.com/2010/12/hows-my-portfolio/">How's My Portfolio blog post a few years ago Serendipitously, I am in a coffee shop this morning discussing this very concept with two colleagues on a conference call as I type this. "No", is the disheartening short answer...but we're designing a solution that will allow Workfront customers to designate that such a custom dropdown be kept in sync with some other object within Workfront, effectively as if Workrfront had a bunch of new parameters you could drop onto a form called "Projects" (meeting your need), or "Users" (another common usecase), or "Users with Brown Hair" (to use a silly example to illustrate the power of this polymorphic approach). Annnnnnnd I've officially taken this one too far. For those who do catch my drift on this last one and are interested in helping pioneer this technique, you're welcome to drop me a line at doug.denhoed@gmail.com. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 2
Hi Doug, thank you very much for your detailed reply. I will look into the options, especially CONCAT! Not to be able to select from existing projects really is a pain in the A... But I guess we'll just hope for this to be a feature in the future! Kind regards, Marius Marius Uzolas HERE