Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Reporting Ad Hoc Tasks assigned to others by one user that are not assigned to a project

Level 2
Hello all, I've been having trouble trying to create a report for a user who has been assigning Ad Hoc tasks to his team without adding to a project. He'd lke to be able to track what he's assigned out. Has anyone been able to figure out a way to do this and/or any insight into this? I realize I'd have an easier time just asking him to add all to a container project but wanted to see if there was something out there already. Best, Jannette
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Level 10
We disallow creating tasks not associated with a project. That is a key reason why we are not deploying the Mobile App - it readily facilitates creating tasks and assigning them to other people. We also don’t have the ability to edit those lists of tasks when they are not associated with a project. We struggled for about a year and then decided to not allow people to use them. Ever. Sorry I don’t have a direct answer to your question, except to say we struggled too long trying to figure it out. Eric

Level 7
Wow, so this is an interesting one. I've done some testing, and I can only show the task when I filter based on the task name (if I do a Task Report). When filtering by entered by, or date, or anything else I could think of, the task would not show up. I tried a Work Item report, and couldn't get it to show up there either. I'll be interested to hear if someone has a solution.

Level 8
Is there a system setting to disallow this?

Level 7
Found it. When doing a task report, you need to add a filter Task>Personal is TRUE (and then entered by whoever wants the report). This should give you what you need.

Level 10
Nope no system setting to disallow free-radical tasks in WorkFront. ‚ò∫

Level 10
Greg - Thanks very much. I created a task report and looked at 197 personal tasks. They weren’t in use or were years old. I deleted them all. I’m going to schedule that report to run on a regular basis, and if someone creates personal tasks, we’ll have a chat with them and delete them. Thanks! Eric

Level 8
Thanks, Greg! I ran this report, and found several orphan tasks where hours were entered (they need to be part of a project for billing). I'll be adding this to my weekly data check reports.

Level 2
Thank you so much Greg! This is exactly what I was looking for. It'll help us greatly for managers who are using this route for one-offs and will help us keep up adoption!