Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Recreating our Excel Resource Grid

Level 6
Can anyone help us with recreating the attached resource grid in Workfront. We are fairly new to Workfront and haven't completed the advanced reporting yet.
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

10 Replies

Level 10
Here are some thoughts: 1) This looks very much like the User Utilization screen; 2) Is your business willing to accept a modified format or are they staunchly fixed on these exact attributes in these exact places? 3) Your sample appears to mix roles (ZZ Project Manager) and names of users - there isn’t anything in WorkFront user utilization or capacity planning that mixes those two concepts; 4) The color coding is based upon some rules - There aren’t any rules based coloration in the screens, this would DEFINITELY be a custom, text-mode report to get the coloration; Take a look at the User Utilization screen (People - Resource Planning - User Utilization - View Resource grid) Look here for help on the screen: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/articles/216735948-Resource-Grid You have choices: a) You can use the User Utilization screen/export/report, or; b) You can find a Remote Consultant (start with Jason Webre to do the design) and have them develop something nice; Does this help? Eric

Level 6
Hi Eric, Thanks for your quick response. In response..... 2. We really want the existing view we have, although I'm aware of the challenges of showing some of these calculated fields in Workfront. 3. Our ZZ Project Manager is an actual person in WF. We created it for project owners to assign work to the PMO. If any work is assigned to a team it doesn't show up in the user utilisation screen but the ZZ does. 4. Would like the colors too and I know that option is available in WF but not sure if it would work specifically with the rules in our grid. I've taken another look at the User Utilisation and I can see how it can project similar number which is great, I suppose it's the additional calculations at the bottom we want to achieve most importantly, hopefully in a report. How do I get hold of Jason Webre? Thanks :)

Level 10
Hi: Jasonwebre@workfront.com< You’ll likely want to schedule remote consulting time with him to talk through the design. If the technical challenges are big, then I would recommend reaching out to Chris Reid at AtApp (www.atappstore.com< )">http://www.atappstore.com>) . They do custom development bolt-ons to WorkFront and have never let us down. chris.reid@espsuite.ca< Best wishes! Eric

Level 9
Hey Laura, Your Customer Success Manager, Frantiska, will reach out to you soon to discuss your question. I'm glad you asked it so we can help you find the answers you're looking for. -Nate In Reply to Laura Ray:
Can anyone help us with recreating the attached resource grid in Workfront. We are fairly new to Workfront and haven't completed the advanced reporting yet.
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 6
I’ve already discovered we cannot do this, according to Jason Webre. Hoping the new resource management will provide better options. ☺ Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image001.png@01D1ACF4.EA2DC1C0] [cid:image002.png@01D1ACF4.EA2DC1C0]

Level 10
I’d say the next step is to reach out to Chris Reid of AtApp. You’ve still got options before you have to rely upon Hope to make progress ☺

Level 6
We were hoping the new version of Resource planning would be available towards the end of the year but after attending their roadmap webinar last night it doesn’t sound like they’re rolling it out until next year! Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image003.png@01D1AD15.59E567A0] [cid:image004.png@01D1AD15.59E567A0]

Level 2
You can do this, but only at the role level, using built-in report options with some custom filtering and conditional formatting.

Level 6
Ah ok, the problem with just reporting on roles is it will lump the data into just one role as each of our resources in the PMO have the role ‘Project Manager’ Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image001.png@01D1AF7B.EA06D6D0] [cid:image002.png@01D1AF7B.EA06D6D0]

Level 10
Laura, your user utilization heatmap is very cool, and reminds me a bit of our Project Heatmap . As Eric suggested (thank you for the referral, Eric), I believe we could reproduce your grid using our Magic Reports offering. I would like to understand the detailed requirements, either here or via email, if you are willing to share them. Regards, Doug