Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

"Skipped" task statuses in Home

Level 10
The following experience is happening for Home. I'm looking for additional perspective, a sanity check and advice on how to express this in a way that doesn't end with it being put into the Idea Exchange. I own--and have seen in other instances--use cases where tasks are completed for assigned workers, and in many cases these workers do not even "work on them". Think along the lines of PMs selecting some sort of custom task status like "Not applicable" or "Skipped" which is often a preferred workaround to removing tasks and fixing predecessor relationships. If you have this sort of workflow: 1) These completed tasks are now showing up in the Late section of Home's left hand nav bar even though the tasks are complete. (issue: Completed tasks should not be considered "late") 2) Completed tasks cannot be differentiated in look from other tasks (they have a "ready to start" flag, they aren't greyed out in any way) [issue: Completed tasks now confusing the user from a "working" perspective.] [related: visibility of skipped tasks confuses the worker who is specifically looking through completed work for work they actually completed] So far Helpdesk's response is to tell us that the assigned worker needs to mark the tasks as "complete"--this is going to be a difficult sell for me to make since the tasks are already complete. I feel that it's also a solution that treats a symptom without considering the user story. Ultimately, the solution I would prefer is one where: * no one has any extra mouseclicks related to working around this issue * For the Completed tasks feature to be considered "working and useful," it should only contain a list of Completed tasks that were completed by the user. As a result of the above, - Completed tasks will only show up in "completed" sections - When completed tasks are listed, they are distinguishable from non completed tasks (mostly by being in the "completed section" and not being flagged as "ready to start". I'm really trying to avoid suggesting a "completed" flag but I'd support one if someone else wants to suggest it) thx -skye
1 Reply

Level 9
Hi Skye, I had a similar issue affecting a small group of users who had a similar custom status ("Waived"- planned but skipped for whatever reason). The status equated to "Complete" in the system, but the task would remain in "My Work". The solution I was given was to "Lock" the status and then associate it with the "Done" button in Team Settings. I would assume this only works if users are on a team, I haven't gotten around to testing it more thoroughly...small group of users affected and I've got bigger fish to fry in the meantime. Regardless, I hope this gives you at least a little something to work with. Anthony Pernice Healthcare Consultancy Group