Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

"Due On" date calculation randomly different for each task?

Level 1
Hey All, I'm really hoping this question is simply because I don't understand how WF thinks--please help enlighten me, we're thorougly confused over here. :( I'm entering tasks, specifying duration, and having WF calculate Due On dates. My confusion is with predecessors. Some tasks will have their Start On date set to the Due On date of their predecessor (doesn't make sense to me), and some tasks will have their Start On date set to the day after the Due On date of their predecessor (makes sense to me). I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to how WF makes its decision one way or the other. I've included an attachment of a test project I made up to illustrate what I'm talking about. Notice that each task is set to start after the previous task has been completed. For some reason tasks 41, 42, 44, & 45 start on the same day the previous task is being completed, but task 43 starts the day after the previous task has been completed. Help!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

4 Replies

Level 10
Hi Nick, Welcome to the Workfront Community. I expect the issue you're experiencing is due to the fact that dates also have a time associated with them. It's just that in the default view you can't see the times - only the dates. The reason that some predecessor tasks finish and their successor task starts on the same day is because the predecessor will be finishing mid-way through a working day (e.g. 1pm). However if a predecessor task is due to finish at 5pm (which is usually the end of a 'Day' in Workfront), then the next task will start on the following day. To see the time in addition to the date, you need to customise your view. Click on View - > Customize View. Then, click on the Planned Start Date column heading, then click on Advanced Options (at the top right) then change the field format to one that includes the time. Next, do the same thing for hte Planned Completion Date column, then click 'Save As New View'. I expect that this will help you resolve the issue and adjust the task start/completion times and durations as required. Regards, David.

Level 8
While you are in there, also add the Task -> Task Constraint column so you can see if you’re using the same setting for each task.

Level 10
Good point! The task constraint field is very handy. One other that I often use is 'Progress Status Icon' so you know whether a task in on time, at risk, late etc. If you like even more detail, the 'Status Icons' field is handy as it shows you whether tasks have documents, issues, are on the critical path, along with the progress status and a couple of other things.

Level 1
Wow! That advice was incredibly handy! Thank you so much. I’m now seeing times and I’ve added the extra columns of information as well.