Expand my Community achievements bar.

Quick Tip: Customize fields in Home and Summary by using Layout Templates in the new Workfront experience (new feature)

Employee

Wondering how to use the new feature that allows you to add custom fields, hide default fields, reorder the fields, and customize the global settings that users see in the Home area and in the Summary panel when they select a certain type of object? Learn more here.

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

8 Replies

Community Advisor

This is one of my favorite new features. We have our business partners approve the details associated with printing through a task approval.

So I've set up those layout templates to show task approvals on Home with all the custom fields associated with their print project (cost, quantity, specs, delivery info, etc) right there where they also see the Approve/Reject buttons for that task.

No need to go into the task, find the task details, etc. Everything they need is right there on Home!

Community Advisor

I also like the customization option very much. I would actually take that even further.

For now home area and summary area correspond (in terms of layout) when tasks are assigned (in workload balancer view). However, if I open summary for unassigned tasks details displayed there are default and not configurable. It would be great if we could customize summary details for unassigned tasks as well.

Level 7

@Kyna Baker - inactive‚

Definitely a step in the right direction. My thoughts on customizing the the fields seen on the Home & Summary screen plus some comments on the Layout Template functionality overall...

1. I need deeper fields available to select or text mode. For example on the Tasks Working On customization for the Home screen, I can select Program ID (in my case Campaign), but not Program Name. The long ID is totally worthless in this case. So can IDs be converted into the names or could text mode be added? Similar to when you select Project Owner ID, the system actually shows the name & avatar of the owner.
  2. You need to be able to drag/drop fields from row 3 up to row 1. You can drag drop the order horizontally on a row, but not vertically.
  3. The columns of the custom fields need to be vertically aligned. For example, if I have 3 fields in row 1, 4 fields in row 2, and 3 fields in row 3, when the user views the task on the home summary screen, those custom fields all vertically stretch so the columns are not visually aligned in straight columns. Makes it very hard to read. This forces me to drop fields so I have an equal number of fields on each row.
  4. Allow copying the custom field layout from "Task Working On" to "Task Requests" to "Task Approval". Seems silly to have to manually set this up 3 times when the same fields are needed.
  5. Add an "Apply" button to the layout template so don't have to save/close, in other browser refresh to see how changes look, go back to first browser to reopen the Layout Template working on, reselect the Home/Summary section again to readjust. Just a lot of unnecessary clicks.
  6. Why does the "Documents" section on Home & Summary not also apply to Proofs yet there are proof fields available to display? They are documents as well. So I have the custom fields I need on plain "documents" but I can't apply custom fields to Proofs approvals.
  7. How do you update the custom fields for Proofs on the Home & Summary in the layout template config?

Level 3

@SarahWilkersonCA you are 100% on point with these items. I'm trying to customize the Home screen for my workers - they complain that they can't see as much as they did when we has Classic. I truly wish we had the ability to customize the left navigation of the Home screen as well as giving us more options to customize the right panel when a task is selected.

In addition, I would like to be able to select multiple tasks from the left Home screen nav so I can compare multiple tasks at once. I'll continue to dream...

Level 6

I like this summary option on the task, however, the "description" field that appears in the summary on the Home page does not always match the summary that appears within the project. Sometimes I see the description and sometimes I don't. Is there a known glitch?

Level 6

It appears I only see the description if the task is assigned to me... can that really be? I have a plan license and am the system admin.

Employee

Hi Giselle,

That sounds broken. Can you submit a support case or have whoever is the authorized support contact at your org submit one for you?

Thanks!

Kyna

Level 6

Thanks Kyna. I have submitted a ticket.