Expand my Community achievements bar.

Pulling report total only to dashboard

Level 2
Does anyone know how to pull the total from a report to a dashboard OR into another report? We have a report that lists all of our Portfolios and the hours allocated and hours used. I would like a dashboard or a report that just shows the total allocated and used overall, not listed out by Portfolio. Thanks Rebecca Johnson Life Time Fitness, Inc.
6 Replies

Level 4
Rebecca, You need to have a field that you can group the data by for all the Portfolios. I am assuming you are doing a project report that is grouped by Portfolio and now you want one level higher, correct? If this is the case, I have found that having the first group being by Company (and you have the same company listed on all the reports), and then by Portfolio, you will get a total roll-up for all your Portfolios/Projects. In the end, you just need a field that allows only one choice to be selected that is either on all projects or all Portfolios and that choice is the same one (this can be a native field like company or a custom field with only one option/choice). I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you have any questions! David
DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Consultant

Level 10
Hi Rebecca - what type of report is this? A project report, grouped by Portfolio? I don't think there's really a way to do this currently, but I have seen an early preview of how dashboards might look in the future, and it supports having "https://www.datarevelations.com/bans.html">BANs (Big Ass Numbers). This will be a great enhancement if/when it happens. For the moment we do a lot of dashboard reporting in Power BI (outside of Workfront) and can use BANs there. David Cornwell

Level 10
LOL!! David beat me to it. But I was going to mention that I have seen an idea from Product that will allow you to have a box that is "Total Planned Hours For Company" and it just shows that number. Not sure when that functionality will be in the system, but I'm very excited for it. Anthony Imgrund FCB

Level 2
We are using an hour report grouped by portfolio and 2019 portfolio hours allocated. So the dashboard or report would be total hours used and total hours available for our agency, not by individual portfolio within the agency. Rebecca Johnson Life Time Fitness, Inc.

Level 2
Hi - do you mean list out each portfolio in the report and an overall portfolio number? So portfolio A, B, C, and (A+B+C)? Rebecca Johnson Life Time Fitness, Inc.

Level 10
I think he was saying you need to find something that can group all the projects from all the different portfolios together. Like one have is grouped by Legacy Resource Pool since we only have 1 pool and all projects get updated with that pool via a nightly API call. Legacy Resource is going away though, so that might not help you. But maybe something like group or another custom field that all your projects would be in so you can do the grouping by that to SUM planned hours for the projects. Anthony Imgrund FCB