Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Projected Hours!

Level 6
I need a report that can in effect calculate projected hours on a task. What we're trying to achieve is a report for the project owner that shows any tasks that are, for example, marked as 50% complete but actual hours equals planned hours. I guess we could also set it to highlight tasks that have actual hours within say 10% of the planned and where the percent bar doesn't reflect the same. Hope this makes sense. I started to create a report yesterday assuming there'd be a field called 'Projected Hours' but to my shock, there wasn't! Thanks!
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

14 Replies

Level 10
Hi: Right you are! The only relationship between projected information and hours is the Estimate at Complete (EAC). The EAC factors in the “burn rate”. The EAC is only at the project level, so will prove to be of little value in looking at task performance. We have a number of error reports - actual hours charged to the task, but percent complete is 0%, percent complete is non-zero but the actual hours equals zero. We have another custom attribute that divides the actual hours by the planned hours for a task. That is a linear measure of percent complete. We compare that to the reported percent complete. While I don’t like calculated percent completes, I figure they ought to be within 20% of each other. If they aren’t, time to take a closer look at the task. After looking at this kind of data for a year or so, here is what we learned: 1) People are terrible about turning in timesheets (duh); 2) People are terrible about charging time to the correct tasks; 3) People (usually the PM) want credit for making progress, so they update the percent complete on a task (um, but there is no timesheet associated with that progress); 4) People are terrible about setting the percent complete when creating a timesheet (um, because they aren’t completing a timesheet until management gets on them, and then they just slam it out and skip the niceties like updating the percent complete); I prefer to look at the CPI of the task to see which tasks have troubles. We allow a generous margin - +/- 0.2 on either side of 1.0. If the CPI is below 0.8, then someone is turning in timesheets without updating the percent complete. If the CPI is above 1.2, then someone (PM) is updating the percent complete, but there are no timesheets to charge the project for the progress. Yes, sometimes people are actually working, updating the percent complete, and submitting timesheets and the CPI accurately shows the efficiency of the work. In those few occasions, we usually over/under forecast the planned hours. We look at the Cost Performance Index of tasks to know which ones aren’t moving along like they should. It all pivots on how well your people submit timesheets, and how accurately they complete those timesheets. Fix that, and then the data in WorkFront will be meaningful. Otherwise, all the data will tell you is that there is a group of people who are terrible about turning in timesheets and when they do, they aren’t accurate. Not sure this helps ☺ Thanks, Eric

Level 6
Hi Eric I’ve had to read through this a couple of times to digest but you’ve provoked some discussion. Firstly around the linear percent complete and what the text is to produce a report for that, or is it something you can only produce in a custom field? Secondly, can you comment on our current settings (screenshot added) with regards to how we calculate Percent Complete - currently set to duration which doesn’t feel right to me. Also, do you think we have the correct setting with regards to PIM and EAC? This is the first time I’ve delving into these. I just ran a quick report to show me all the projects that have a CPI of 0.8 or less and we have 122!! What started me down this road was a user added 75 hours against a 15 hour task! The PM was none too happy as you can imagine and asked me to figure out a way to at a minimum notify him that this was happening and at best stop a user adding hours over the planned hours. I don’t think the latter is possible so I thought I’d produce a report that would show ‘projected hours’ which would make it easy to identify where actual hours we’re about to get out of control! I’m still trying to figure out how I can do that - can I do such a calculation within a report that creates my own projected hours? Even if it’s only a guideline! We need to have you visit us for a week Eric, so we can avoid some of this painful stuff….. when are you in England next? ☺ [cid:image002.png@01D21A2D.33CCB570] Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image003.png@01D21A2D.5428DBA0]

Level 6
Hi Eric, Sorry, one more question - how does updating (or not) the % complete bar affect the CPI?

Level 10
Hi: First, I can’t get a proper breakfast here in the Colonies. I would be delighted to visit and enjoy those Lincolnshire sausages at breakfast again. ☺ Your settings show that percent complete is based upon the duration of the task. We believe that progress is made as work is performed. We believe our labor forecast (planned hours) is more accurate than our overall duration estimate. We know it takes about 10 labor hours to do this, but are rather inaccurate as to whether those 10 hours will be expended in a week or two weeks. We have lots of interruptions that would cause our duration to vary widely, but in the end, the labor hours to produce the deliverable remains rather accurate. Therefore, because we trust our labor forecast more than our calendar duration, we calculate percent complete on planned hours. If you believe your ability to forecast calendar duration of the work is far more accurate than the estimated labor hours, then you would want to calculate percent complete on task duration. That means, it might take 10 hours or it might take 20 hours, we’re never really sure, but by golly, we know it will be done in two weeks regardless, then calculating percent complete on Duration is a good idea. The percent complete of the task is used in calculating CPI, which is subsequently used in calculating the EAC. Next thing I saw was that the Performance Index is being calculated on cost. Here are some things to consider: If progress on your project is largely measured by how much money you spend - your projects are external spend intensive, more than labor intensive - then you would want to calculate the Performance Index Method based on cost. If you are spending money (external spend) regularly throughout the project lifecycle, then you should consider calculating the PIM on costs. If your teams sit around and say, we have a budget of $100K, and we’ve spent $45K, so we are about 45% complete, then you have selected the correct setting. Another consideration of using a PIM based on cost - you have to enter the actual cost of expenses. You get actual labor cost from timesheets, but you must manually enter the actual cost of expenses. If you have projects with a lot of expenses occurring throughout the lifecycle of the project, you’re going to be entering a lot of actual costs. If you want to do this easily, check out the AtApp store - they’ve got some things Because we view progress as occurring when labor hours are spent on the work, and our external spend is largely one-time (we buy the hardware and are done with third party spend), we calculate our PIM on labor hours. The external spend is not influential in our interpretation of progress. Spending labor hours to configure, validate, and move the hardware to production is how we measure progress. Now, many will say - um, hey, Eric, the expenditure of labor hours is the same as spending money. What is the difference? Well, I say, you are too right. If you don’t have any external spend on a project, and everyone’s hourly rate is about the same, there is no material difference in choosing a PIM of Hours versus Cost. If you have some people with a high labor rate and some with a low labor rate, progress will be skewed by the people charging time with the high labor rate, if you’ve chosen a PIM of Cost. If the person charging £100/hour charges 10 hours, and the person charging £60/hour charges 10 hours, the former person causes a larger shift in the percent complete than the latter person. If that is how your team works, the lower paid people make less progress per hour of work than the higher paid people, then choose calculating PIM by cost (disregarding external spend). Because we believe that labor hours create progress, and not the bill rate of the people doing the labor, and because our external spend is generally one-time in a project, we look at hours charged as driving progress, not cost. The only projects I can think of (in my narrow experience) where calculating PIM on cost are construction (roads, buildings, bridges) projects, I would think you would want to calculate it based on hours. Next item. If someone has Contribute permission to a project, they can charge time to ANY task in the project. Note that there is no qualification on which tasks they can charge time to. They can charge any amount of time to any task. The task can be closed. They don’t need to be assigned to the task. They can charge more or less than the planned hours. They can charge anything to any task in the project, as long as the project isn’t closed/completed. The trick is to create a report that shows all of the tasks where actual hours is greater than the planned hours. (create a task report with a filter where the Task >> Hours Difference is greater than 0, the number of children is 0, and the task>>status is not equal complete) Then, the resulting report becomes an agenda for meeting with the team to update the forecast. We meet with the people assigned to the task and say - hey, um, we need to update our forecast - you’ve charged X hours and think you’re Y percent complete. How many more hours will it take to complete the task? Then we update planned hours to be larger than actual hours. Many times, we find a person has overcharged one task and undercharged others. That means they are dumping their time in a task (usually the first task to appear in the timesheet for a project). We open timesheets and redistribute their hours for them. Anyway, create that report and schedule it to run weekly. I have that report in a Quality Dashboard that project managers are required to consider every Friday morning. Before they send out their weekly status report, the quality dashboard should show no anomalies. We also found that when people realized we are using timesheets to track progress (by the hour!), most of the ne’er do wells did better in their timesheet accounting. If someone is looking at their timesheet, and doing more with that information than just charging some abstract financial account, well, most people want to do the right thing and timesheet quality improves a little bit. Next, on to the linear percent complete and all that. While there is no doubt text mode code that can calculate that for you (it’s likely a simple division statement), I must admit I am not that good at text mode reporting and simply marvel and the ease with which others toss around text mode code on the reporting forum. Back in the 1970’s when I was doing assembly code, at least we had an assembler that gave us error messages. We had an assembler that told us syntax and run-time errors. WorkFront text mode code is a fantastic black hole. When you run the report, you are tossing your code over a dark wall and if nothing comes back, well, there you are. Back when I did COBOL programming on punched cards (late 1970’s, 1980), because the cost of running a job was so high, we did what was called “bench-checking”. You sat that and visually and cognitively pored over your code looking for anything that might be amiss. That ancient programming skill is mandatory when doing text mode reporting. So, you can understand my love of custom attributes. When you put in a calculation it tells you - real time - if you’ve goofed. In 2015, I suggested to Steve Zobell the most transformative thing they could do to increase the value of the reporting engine was to add syntax checking and meaningful error messages to text mode reports. You can do almost anything using text mode, but the learning curve is strewn with dead-ends, mysterious anomalies, and awash with the tears of frustrated report developers. The custom attribute interface, however, is simplicity itself. While I like a challenge, at my age, you pick and choose your frustrations carefully. I have chosen to not master text mode reporting. There we have it. We calculate the linear hour-based percent complete thusly: [cid:image005.jpg@01D21A31.66181660] We compare the linear percent complete with the reported percent complete and look for anything anomalous. In the end, if you measure progress in terms of how close is the final deliverable to being done, you have to recognize that the relationship between hours expended and percent complete of the final deliverable is rarely linear. If you are knitting a blanket, where the activity of each hour is the same as the last, then yes, hours expended should be linearly proportional to percent complete. In our world, the hours expended do not contribute to the percent complete linearly. WorkFront assumes you are knitting blankets, however, and uses a linear calculation of CPI. I have seen where they are going to allow what we called (in the dark ages) “curve-fitting”. You can divide the timeline for a task into (I think) five groups. For each fifth of the project, you describe the percent complete. Percentile Arbitrary % complete 20% 10% 40% 30% 60% 50% 80% 90% 100% 100% You can describe what percent complete the final deliverable is, when a certain percentage of the planned hours are consumed. In the example above, this means when the team has charged 60% of the planned hours to the task, the percent complete of the final deliverable is 50%. Here is the problem with curve-fitting labor to get a percent complete. I’m going to use the term “rabbit-hole”. It is (thanks, Wikipedia) a metaphor for an entry into the unknown, the disorienting, or the mentally deranging, from its use in Alice’s Adventure in Wonderland. When I’ve been involved in curve-fitting discussions in the past, people start boring down that hole with great passion and time passes and in the end, the curve they produce doesn’t really add value. When would you want to curve fit? The value of curve fitting is not found in short duration tasks. Progress occurs so fast, that it doesn’t really matter if it is 30% complete on Thursday and then 45% complete on Friday. Most projects don’t measure pr

Level 10
Ye Gods. You wouldn’t know English is my first language. Sorry for the incomplete sentence and awkward structure of a few sentences. To refine my prior comments: 1) If you want to automate the uploading of actual costs for expenses, go look at the AtApp store. They have just what you need there; 2) “The only projects I can think of (in my narrow experience) where calculating PIM on cost are construction (roads, buildings, bridges) projects, I would think you would want to calculate it based on hours.” What I mean is that you probably don’t run the kind of projects where calculating PIM on cost makes sense. I recommend you calculate it based on hours; I look forward to your thoughts… Eric

Level 10
Eric, well done: the definitive work on such matters. Nate, if you're looking for a ready-made blog entry, I suggest you transmogrify this thread of Eric's into one, perhaps "Everything you ever wanted to know about CPIs but were afraid to ask". Regards, Doug

Level 6
Hi Eric, I can’t thank you enough for your extensive reply, as someone who’s still very new to Workfront I LOVE your in-depth explanations, it helps me no end. That’s one thing I love about being back in the UK - Sausages and yes, Lincolnshire sausages although recently I’ve been enjoying Cumberland sausages a little more. I believe we will be changing our settings to calculate on Planned Hours, we were having a great econvo yesterday amongst our avid WF users and all agreed this makes more sense for us based on your explanation. Now the bigger question - what will happen if we change that now? What will it affect in WF. With regards to linear percent complete and the differential between planned and actual hours - we have this calculated field already on a custom form - I didn’t realise! It’s not on all of our tasks currently but I plan to add it and start wading through the mess! I think that’s probably a more basic/easier starting point to get users to think about what they’re doing when adding time and to get team leaders to talk about it at their meetings. I spent last and this week going round the department to explain the importance of changing the % complete bar when adding hours - so you can understand the level we’re at. About 50% of our users said they hadn’t been told they needed to do that and the other 50% said they just keep forgetting, it’s good I’m not a quitter! I do think a CPI report will be useful for project owners though but until we make the switch there seems little point in addressing it yet. With regards to report text code - that’s what the community is for right? ☺ Thanks again Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image004.png@01D21B00.B38D5660]

Level 10
Hi: Good question - What happens when you change those Project settings? I don’t know. I would guess that the recalculation of the numbers won’t be immediate. I bet you have to wait for an overnight cycle to recalculate the timeline to get new numbers. Maybe if you open a project, look at the CPI (Finances) and then select project actions, recalculate timeline, it might force a recalc. Don’t know the answer, frankly. I’d say change the settings and don’t worry about it for a day. Do let us know, however, what you see. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Thanks, Doug. That is very kind of you to say. Nate - I suggest if you want to do that, please send it to someone with a firmer, more confident grasp of the English language than me. Let them edit it so it makes sense the first time someone reads it. ‚ò∫

Level 9
I'm all over it! As always, Eric... thank you for your awesomeness! -Nate In Reply to Doug Den Hoed:
Eric, well done: the definitive work on such matters. Nate, if you're looking for a ready-made blog entry, I suggest you transmogrify this thread of Eric's into one, perhaps "Everything you ever wanted to know about CPIs but were afraid to ask". Regards, Doug
-Nate Bagley --- Workfront Community Manager - Work Smart, Work Happy Message me directly at:

Level 6
Ok, well I’ll have a play and see what I unearth. Thanks ☺ Laura Ray Project Support Analyst Bakkavor Information Systems Bakkavor Group West Marsh Road, Spalding, Lincolnshire, PE11 2BB, UK Direct: +44 (0)1775 763 010 www.Bakkavor.com // Laura.Ray@Bakkavor.com< [cid:image001.png@01D21B31.E3A36750]

Level 10
Hi Eric - awesome and detailed advice, as always! Thank you for taking the time... Just one comment...you said that EAC is only available at the project level. In our system at least, EAC is also available at the task level (on the finance tab) and seems to calculate properly. As a side note, I have a support ticket open regarding EAC calculation issues at the project level. Development are looking at it currently. Regards, David.

Level 10
{{David}} I stand corrected, you are right, EAC is also available at the task level. Thanks for pointing that out! Regarding EAC, we’ve run calculations for months and don’t see any errors in how they are calculating it. We had a problem with it from, well, 2013 when I started using AtTask until March of so of 2015. What error are you seeing in the EAC? I do know that if you configure WorkFront to roll yup from the tasks/subtasks, it is incorrect. If you calculate it at the project level, it is correct as far as we can calculate. Thanks! Eric

Level 10
Hi Eric, Yes, we have it set to roll up from tasks/subtasks. The ticket is still open with Dev so I guess they are looking at fixing the issue you found a while back. Regards, David