Expand my Community achievements bar.

Join us for our Coffee Break Sweepstakes on July 16th! Come ask your questions or share your use cases on Creative Briefs for a chance to win a piece of Workfront swag!

Project View > Ability to See Hours Assigned to Resource on Simple Tasks

Level 8
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has a Project View set up where they are able to see the breakdown of hours for each resource on a simple task. For example, if we create a infographic, the task type is set to simple, and a designer may be assigned 6 hours, while the editor is assigned 1 hour. I want to quick be able to view my project after it's been set up to make sure any tasks set to simple and having more than one person assigned are set up correctly I've tried figuring this out myself, but can't seem to find the right view. Thanks in advance for your help! Jenn Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures
8 Replies

Level 8
Is this the sort of thing you had in mind? This is an assignment report (so there is a line for each person assigned work on a task). The UI doesn't allow you to group by task name (there could be issues in there as well) so in this case I've used text mode to group by task name: group.0.linkedname=task group.0.namekey=view.relatedcolumn group.0.namekeyargkey.0=task group.0.namekeyargkey.1=name group.0.valuefield=task:name group.0.valueformat=string textmode=true If you put the report in a dashboard and publish it through a layout template, it will be available in each project and automatically filter by that project. (

Level 8
Hi Barry, That wasn't quite what I was looking for, but I think it solves another issue department managers were having with reviewing task hours, so that's helpful. What I was looking for was more of a Project View, so that a project manager can quickly review the project and hours assigned to each person before marking the project as current. Right now I can't figure out how to get this view when multiple resources are assigned to the same task. Thanks for your input! Jenn Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures

Level 8
Hey Jenn, We use the Staffing tab/Resource Grid while looking at project & task hours. It allows you to see how many hours each resource has been assigned to on that project with the individual task and hour break out as well. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but we use it and love it! Happy to walk you through it if that sounds like what you need :). Brooke Vaughan Rockfish Interactive Corporation

Level 8
If you group the assignment report by Assigned to:Name (you can do this in standard mode) you get: If you want that view per project, wrap the report in a dashboard and then publish the dashboard in a layout interface by customizing tabs when looking at a project.

Level 8
The staffing tab is helpful! Thank you both! Jennifer Tanabe Director, Project Management Vertical Measures

Level 1
I think this is what you're looking for. It's great but I'm now trying to go a step further to see if there is ANY WAY to inline edit. Doesn't seem like its possible. Edit your project view and add a column with this text entry: displayname=Task Allocation (Hours) listdelimiter= listmethod=nested(assignments).lists textmode=true type=iterate valueexpression=CONCAT({assignedTo}.{name}," - ",{work}/60," Hours") valueformat=HTML Allie Durham

Level 10
Allie's solution is what I was going to suggest but she beat me to it! :) One other option, Jenn, is to use the Utilization report if you want to see a summary of hours per resource. It doesn't show the task level so may not be exactly what you want though. David Cornwell

Level 7
I think what you provided is similar to what I am looking for, but I don't know enough about Text Mode and coding to make it work for what I want. I'm not sure what text I should change. Could you assist? I'm trying to get a column view in Projects that shows planned hours for the job role of 'designers'. Is there a way to modify what you provided to have that appear? Leah Janz Metro Transit