Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Project report by assignments

Level 4
Hello, I'm trying to get a project-level report that can be grouped by the individual person assigned to it so my Resource Manager can have a count of # of projects a person is working on at any given time. The Resource Planner doestn' give a count, so that's why I'm building a report. My instinct is that this is a project report, but perhaps it can be pulled from some other kind of object? Not a task report because I just want the line item to be the project name. Thank you in advance. Lila Whitney Discover Financial Services
Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

13 Replies

Level 7
task report grouped by assignee? Richard Carlson Behr Process Corporation

Level 4
I have that and it shows me all the tasks based on my filters. I only want to pull the project to get a count of all projects they're assigned to. Kind of like the Projects I'm On tab that the users have access to, but for the Resource Manager to look at for the whole dept. Lila Whitney | Discover Brand Creative Group 2500 Lake Cook Road, Riverwoods, IL 60015 P: 224.405.5857 E: lila whitney@discover.com

Level 7
WF has said this is impossible, but I refuse to believe we would have to manually count projects or export just to get this count. I have gotten close with a task report in matrix mode, but no project count. I tried an assignment report and that was even worse. I'll be interested to see if anyone has come up with a solution for this. I grouped by project name and assigned to for the rows and that at least makes it easy to count the projects. Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 8
We are needing something similar in our organization as we are now starting to dive into what we need to setup the resource planner. Kiersten Kollins DSW Inc.

Level 6
I agree this should be an easily gathered report. I would suggest sending it as a suggestion in the Idea Exchange. If you do, please replay to the group with a link to the idea, so we can all vote for it, and share to get more votes. A very manual suggestion for time being would be create custom fields for each of the roles you have assigned to projects. Utilize the typeahead custom field they have now where someone will need to manual put in who is working on each project. You can pull your task level reports to batch edit these fields, but again, it is still manual work. Once all of the fields are populated, you can now pull a project level report on who is working on what. Hope this helps. Tim Brooks Invicro

Level 5
You can create an assignment report and use the DCNT count aggregate on a project name/reference number column to get this information. CNT (Count) counts the number of entries. DCNT (Distinct Count) counts the number of unique entries. It doesn't always work in graphs but should get you closer. Note I've only seen DCNT work well in a single grouping, not sure how accurate it is in a hierarchical report. Melinda Layten Technical Project Manager - API and Integration Workfront

Level 10
Excellent reminder, Melinda; thanks! Lila, Brandon, et al, I'm pleased to confirm that I've just created a prompted assignments based report that shows an accurate count of the Projects Per User . Given the interest on this one, rather than document and drag everyone through the gory details (although I'm sure some will be curious...you know who you are), I'll instead release it using our "https://store.atappstore.com/product/packages/" Packages Solution so that anyone who needs this report can simply deploy the Package into their own Workfront environment. I'll post the link to the Package here once it's ready, and if you'd like me to tag you when I do so, please leave your name below. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 7
This is brilliant Melinda! I have not seen the DCNT function listed anywhere, but I will be using it for all sorts of shenanigans now, no doubt! Appreciate the post! The aggregator code is as follows: aggregator.displayformat=HTML aggregator.function=DCNT aggregator.namekey=project:name aggregator.valuefield=project:name aggregator.valueformat=HTML just group by "assigned to" and post this in your project name column! Brandon Pritchard System Administrator iNHouse Marketing - Nationwide pritcb1@nationwide.com

Level 10
Hi @Lila Whitney and @Brandon Pritchard , As promised, with many thanks to my friend and colleague @Narayan Raum , I'm delighted to confirm that the ©WFPro User Project Count "https://store.atappstore.com/product/packages/" Package is ready and available for any Workfront customer who'd like to deploy it into their environment. As below, it provides a Dashboard that shows the number of Projects per User in grid mode, and the number of Assignments per User in Chart mode; and as above, once you deploy it to your environment, you're welcome to edit it yourself so you can learn how it works (if you're so inclined). I invite you to deploy it to your environment "https://www.atappstore.com/App/wfpro-user-project-count/Default.aspx" here . Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore

Level 10
Thank you for posting @Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore . As an incentive to give AtAppStore package installations a try, I'd like to make an offer that's hard to pass on. Anyone who installs this package and posts a screenshot of the resulting dashboard in this thread will get the text mode behind this nifty little column for task and issue views/reports I recently built, free of charge. Hovering over those bullets exposes the full comments, descriptions, etc. This thing continues to expand in support of other commonly-used fields, so chances are it'll have more features by the time you read this. Thanks, Narayan Narayan Raum Workfront Delivery Lead - SunTrust Bank https://wf-pro.com for Text Mode & Solutions

Level 4
Thanks both for this - giving it a try now! Vikki Gibbs WF System Admin RRD

Level 7
This is brilliant and I'd love to try it - but my organization is on an SSO solution so I'm not able to log in directly. Are there any workarounds for people in our type of setup? Kind Regards, Katherine Stibley DMD Marketing Corp.

Level 10
Thanks Katherine, Yes, (long story short) as the API isn't SSO enabled, I'd suggest setting up a special, temporary, non-SSO SysAdmin User, use it to connect to Workfront for the purpose of deploying the Package, and then disable that account afterwards, to stay compliant with your SSO governance rules. Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore