Expand my Community achievements bar.

The Community Advisors application is now OPEN for the second class of 2024. Apply to become a part of this exclusive program!

Project Details: Actual Hours field does not match hours logged

Level 3
I am reviewing a project and came across a very large variance between the planned hours and the actual hours. When I started digging into the hours logged on the project and tasks the numbers did not match (at all). Wondering if I am missing something about how these fields work or if I have come across a glitch. Details: Project Planned Hours: 5.68 Project Actual Hours: 30.87 (that's what Workfront is telling me in the Actual Hours field) Actual Hours Logged: 6.11 There are no issues with time logged. Anyone have any insight that may help here? Cameron Howitt
9 Replies

Level 8
Actual hours at the project level includes hours logged directly against the project, hours logged on issues in the project and hours logged against the tasks. Could you confirm how you're arriving at the different figure? It may be it's not including all three hours types. (I have one client that assumed people only logged hours against tasks, and had discrepancies when their reporting didn't consider hours logged against issues which people were doing). Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 10
Hi: There are three general types of hours – Project, Task, and Issue. When my numbers don't line up, it is likely because I'm not looking at all three types of hours. There is no relationship between planned hours and actual hours. They aren't connected in any way. Look for all three types of hours... Thanks, Eric

Level 10
We are noticing a similar issue with billing records in which the values inexplicably did not match. We isolated the problem to the project not auto recalculating when we expected it to. Try the project action, Recalculate Timeline or Finances and see if that gets them aligned. If it does, please consider voting for my enhancement request on this topic. https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/115000829214-Billing-Record-Saves-Should-Auto... SARA ROTHKOPF Marriott International

Level 3
Thanks for the replies everyone. The discrepancy that I am noticing came up in a project report that is detailing planned hours vs actual hours for completed projects. In this case the report is indicating that there were a total of 30.87 hours logged. See image below. However, when I review either the hours logged in the "Hours" tab in the project or when I run an hour report for all hours logged on the project the total hours is 6.11. See image below. From everything that I can see there is no time logged against the Project object type or Issue object type that would contribute to the discrepancy. Any ideas? Cameron Howitt

Level 4
Cameron, Try running an hours report on the Project. I'm attaching screenshots of a report we have built to answer questions like yours: where are the hours coming from?? The report basis is simple: Set up an hours report with the following fields (to start with) Project: Name Owner Hours Type Source Status Date Planned Hours Hours (This will be the Actual Hours count - it is simple called "Hours" in the reporting tool) Use this field as a Sum field, too) Set up the Summary screen with the following: Name Count Hours Set up Report Prompts to ask you to specify the Project every time you run the report - then you can use this for any Project you want to inquire against. See below for screenshots. Hope this helps! Greg Troester CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.

Level 10
Hmmm, that is odd. I'd call tech support on that one... Eric

Level 8
I've voted for the billing record to recalculate finances, but I would be surprised if that resolved this issue. Recalculate timellines perhaps, but recalculate finances is (to my understanding) going to multiple those hours by the current relevant rates (user or role, at the global, company or project level depending on where it's currently drawing from). Greg's report gives us everything we should want to know, but were there any filters on the report you showed us Cameron? Barry Buchanan Work Management Australia

Level 4
Call tech support on what one? It makes sense to me: Count refers to the number of task, project, or issue items that have hours logged. Sum refers to the total of actual hours reported - it lines up exactly with the summary screen of the project. Greg Troester CHG Healthcare Services, Inc.

Level 8
I have had a case open with Workfront for about a month now. Request #1100729 if you want to refer to it in your case. They came back today and said it was a bug which they are going to fix. No ETA yet. Adina Pierce Cisco