Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!

Productivity Report

Level 1
Hi, I am trying to pull a report in Workfront to show two things: (1) How long each user is spending on a task. This would be for projects that are already complete and closed. (2) The duration of projects that are already complete with the view of how long each section of the project took. Is there a way to do that? Thank you, Kara Kara Heckaman Tire Rack
4 Replies

Level 10
hi Kara, for the tasks, the amount of time a user is spending on a task is either called Actual Duration or Actual Hours, and this measurement is only accurate if a user performs a few very specific steps. Actual duration can be considered the amount of time the task sat in someone's court regardless of whether it was being worked on, since often a project cannot proceed without that task being done. (I feel like the calculation driving this is looking at the task's Actual Start/Completion Dates.) Actual Hours can kind of be considered your billable time (this is the actual time you spent actually doing something). So I can have a task with a deadline 5 days away and actually spend 15 minutes on it--so when your managers ask how long a user spends on a task, this is one thing I would clarify. Actual hours can usually only be calculated if a user logs time, although as a compromise, many groups consider a task's "planned hours" to be the actual hours by default. Actual duration can usually only be calculated, if a task is put into an In Progress status as the task is started, and Completed as soon as the task has ended. So if a user only clicks Work on It / Done, you will find the actual duration amounts to be very short. I guess for the project, I would probably ask similar questions in order to ensure I could use the Project Actual Duration field. Unless I miss my guess, this field is driven by the project's actual start and completion dates, which should be driven by the start date of the first task and the end date of the last task (I think)... -skye

Level 1
Thank you Skye. That gives me a starting point. Is there a specific Workfront Report Template that will help me show how much each user is spending in the Actual Duration phase? Kara Heckaman Tire Rack

Level 10
I think probably the place to look would be the task report. However, the task report only groups by the primary assignee: so if you have 2 people assigned to a task, the second person would be left off in any scenario where you group by user. You might try an assignment report, in that case--I don't usually use those to find duration, but I imagine it should be able to pull the task actual duration field as one of the columns. -skye

Level 6
Hi Kara, For #1: Assuming your users log their time, this would make a good hour report (probably as a chart). On your filter, in addition to anything else you want to filter out, add Hour Type ID not equal Sick, Vacation so you're only getting work hours. Group the report by Task Name (or Project Name, then a secondary group for Task Name). Add a report prompt for: Hour Entry Date (so you can show only a specific time period of activity) Hour Owner ID (so you can a single user) Home Group ID (if you want to the option to show a whole group) Hour Owner Team ID (if you want the option show a whole team And if not grouping by project, you probably want a prompt for Project ID. For #2: If hours is what you want to see, you could do the same as #1, except add filter for Task Milestone ID is not blank. (or if not using milestones and instead just parent tasks -> Task Number Of Children greater than 0). Keep in mind though, that will not show hours from tasks that don't fall under a milestone. If you want to see the actual amount of time that elapsed from task start (or project start) to task completion, that will be a bit more complicated. Sean Sanders London Drugs