Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Prevent users from deleting projects with hour entries

Level 10

Hi WF Community,

Does anyone know of a solution to proactively preventing users from deleting projects that have hour entries against them?

I know there are articles recommending people don't delete projects, but rather mark them as dead or canceled. And that there are Timesheet & Hour preferences in setup that allow you to 'Keep logged time already added to timesheets as general time (If this project is later restored, the time remains on the timesheet)' or 'Delete any logged time (If this project is later restored, time already logged is restored to the project)'. However, these options don't help us when running various utilization reports and time is logged under 'General Overhead'.

I can check to see if people have already suggested this over in the Innovation Lab; however, I thought I'd see if folks have a recommended solution to this that I might be missing. I might try creating an automated daily report to show me deleted projects from the previous day that have hour entries against them (e.g. EXISTS). That way I can stay on top of who's deleting projects and recover various projects and mark them as Canceled.

Thanks.

Nick

Topics

Topics help categorize Community content and increase your ability to discover relevant content.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Nick,

I can offer a couple of ideas in the meantime: you could create a Billed Billing Record on each such Project you want to "protect" (either manually, or via our Auto Bill solution), and/or you could alter your Access Levels to prevent users (other that The Chosen Few) from deleting projects.

Regards,

Doug

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 10

Low and behold, here is an idea over at the Innovation Lab related to this

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi Nick,

I can offer a couple of ideas in the meantime: you could create a Billed Billing Record on each such Project you want to "protect" (either manually, or via our Auto Bill solution), and/or you could alter your Access Levels to prevent users (other that The Chosen Few) from deleting projects.

Regards,

Doug

Level 10

We don't allow planners to delete projects. We created a special project status called Delete which a sysadmin will review periodically to confirm it can be deleted safely.

Level 10

Thanks for the options, Doug and Kevin!