Expand my Community achievements bar.

Do you have questions about the migration to Adobe Business Platform? Come join our upcoming coffee break and ask away!

Planned Hours Report Help

Level 3
Hi - Does anyone has experience creating a monthly planned hours report? Our group works with 15 internal business verticals and we need to show each month a rollup of planned hours by vertical. Thanks in advance for your help Greg Lawville AAA Club Alliance
12 Replies

Level 7

Hey @Greg Lawville Do you have the vertical as a custom field in Workfront? This way you could group by the vertical? Is there anything in specific you wanted to know about this as we have a few reports that look at planned hours.

Thanks,

Vicky Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited0690z000007ZhhUAAS.png

Level 3
HI Vicky - Yes, I do. The specific challenge I am running into is each time a resource logs time the report is re-counting the total planned hours. So, if the project is 100 hours and our designer logs 1 hour the report now shows the project as 200 hours. This may be my fault as I am new to these reports, so I greatly appreciate your help. Greg Lawville AAA Club Alliance

Level 7
Hi Greg, Could you share what type of reporting you are running, and screenshots of your filters and groupings. Thanks, Vicky Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 3
HI Vicky - I just uploaded screen shots of my report. Thanks! Greg Lawville AAA Club Alliance

Level 7
Hi Greg, My initial thought is to change your view planned hours from Project Planned hours to Task Planned hours and see if this makes a difference. I will look at one of planned hours reports and compare. Thanks, Vicky Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 7
Hey @Greg Lawville , I have also noticed that your filter is looking at actual hours logged between a certain time, if its just planned hours you want from this report you might want to change the filter to 'Task -> Planned Completion Date' between .... Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 3
Thank you! I think this is what I need. Can I ask one more question please? I'd like to show the specific month as a column. So for example we had 1k hours for January and 2k for February. How could I add this to the report. I've attached updated screen shots. Thanks! Greg Lawville AAA Club Alliance

Level 7
Hey @Greg Lawville How about if you change your grouping from 'original planned hours' to 'planned completion date' and then from the dropdown select month of the year and that should give you what you want! Vicky Vicky Fitzgerald Telegraph Media Group Limited

Level 4
Greg, I wanted to jump in here because I am not sure you can accurately accomplish what you are looking for using a task report. Unless you are looking only at how many planned hours on tasks that complete that month, regardless of when they started. Here is an example: Task A has 100 planned hours with a planned start date of 15 Jan and a planned completion date of 10 Feb. Your task report will show all 100 hours in Feb when you group by Planned Completion Date (Month). I believe your only option will be the Planner Module in Workfront. Here are the issues: First, as Vicki pointed out, in one of the screenshots you are grouping by "Original Planned Hours" which is not going to give you accurate information. This field only shows planned hours for the task that was created with planned hours and then had subtasks added under it. Since the subtasks now determine the Planned Hours for the parent task, you will lose visibility to what you originally had. This field is very helpful for PMs who want to quickly see what was originally planned for a task once subtasks have been added. It also allows WF to "remember" what the original plan was if the subtasks are deleted. This field is 0 until a subtask is added, therefore you won't get the data you desire. Second, WF does not allow you to report at the task level on "Allocation Date". Allocation Date is the daily "Allocation" of hours for that task based on the duration (10 planned hours over a 10 day duration = 1 hour per day). Therefore, you can not accurately report the number of planned hours per month at the task level because you either get all the hours based on Start or Finish and not based on the Allocation. You have 3 options. Either you use the Planner Module, the API, or you can use the Project (Financial Data) report to get "Allocation Date" for the planned hours at the project level. This is a great report if you want to see a macro view of how many hours are planned each month for each project, but you won't be able to get to the micro level (Task, job role, team, individual). The Planner Module is the only native, OOTB option for getting the true micro level info. I hope this helps!! David
DAVID A. TAYLOR Founder & Managing Consultant

Level 3
Thank you very much for all of your help! Greg Lawville AAA Club Alliance

Level 10
Hi Greg, Further to David's assessment, I'd invite you to consider our "http://store.atappstore.com/product/capacity-charting/">Capacity Charts and/or "http://store.atappstore.com/product/heatmap/">Heatmap solutions, as each do provide the level of granularity I believe you're seeking (e.g. they consider schedules, personal time off, can be grouped by month, and can be stacked in various informative ways). Regards, Doug Doug Den Hoed - AtAppStore Got Skills? Lend a hand! https://community.workfront.com/participate/unanswered-threads

Level 8
Hi Greg, The new resource planner has a month view option that could help you get what you need if you are comfortable with excel. You would need to export the resource planner data using the everything/raw settings. If you delete all the rows that do not have all the data points (so only keep rows with project, role, employee, task), and then add in a column for vertical. You should be able to pivot the data and get the monthly report you need. I would also encourage all on this thread to vote for my related feature request to add assigned hours as a reporting object: https://support.workfront.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360014275094-Create-Assigned-Hours-as-a-Repor... Karen Karen Marck Wunderman Worldwide