Expand my Community achievements bar.

The next phase for Workfront Community ideas is coming soon. Learn all about it in our blog!
SOLVED

Planned Hour Distribution

Level 2

Hi everyone, I'm currently working on project templates and I'm struggling with the way WF distributes planned hours evenly across the task duration. Is there a way to stop this from occurring and instead fill an assignees working day with as much of a task's planned hours as possible?  For example, standard working day is 7 hours, a task has 8 planned hours and a duration of 2 days. At the moment WF splits the task over 2 days, 4 hours in each of the two days rather than 7 hours in day 1 and 1 hour in day 2. 

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @markTwo 

As per understanding, if the user is connected to a proper schedule which says the number of hours each day + Work time & FTE also required to update (which varies from 0.1 to 1). You will get the more correct distribution. Also, check with Task Constraint and Task Typer such as "Simple".

Sharing an example for reference.Example 1.jpg

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi @markTwo,

As you've observed, Workfront's As Designed behavior is to distribute planned hours evenly (aka "peanut butter spread") across the task duration, and although you can individually "shape" tasks afterwards manually, there is no automated way to do so.

In an earlier release of our Resource Grid solution, we did allow users to right click a task and select among "Remove Contour", "Front Load", or "Back Load" to then automatically distribute the work accordingly. And -- as you might know -- given Workfront's again As Designed behavior to "reset" such distributed work (back to peanut butter spread) whenever something material changed (such as the Start Date, Duration, Planned Hours, etc.), we also had an additional option to "Copy Contour" so users could make one or more such material changes, and then "Paste Contour" to get back to the desired shape again without having to manually re-enter all of the hour-per-assignee-per-day details again. About two years ago, though, in consultation with the Workfront Dev team who advised us that the underlying data structures were changing (and now have), we disabled all of these features, which -- candidly -- were too complex for all but the most advanced Workfront customers.

That said...Been There, Done That, so for you or anyone else who's interested in chatting further, you're welcome to email me at doug.denhoed@atappstore.com

Regards,

Doug

TIP: if this solved your problem, I invite you to consider marking it as a Correct Answer to help others who might also find it of use

Level 2

Thanks for the information @Doug_Den_Hoed__AtAppStore much appreciated.  

Correct answer by
Level 10

Hi @markTwo 

As per understanding, if the user is connected to a proper schedule which says the number of hours each day + Work time & FTE also required to update (which varies from 0.1 to 1). You will get the more correct distribution. Also, check with Task Constraint and Task Typer such as "Simple".

Sharing an example for reference.Example 1.jpg